Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED HELP RE: SERVICES.MSC

• Please log in to reply

Ronin_62

Ronin_62

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK so I had a hijacker virus thing on my computer which I got rid of, but in the process I erroneously disabled Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator, using services.msc

When I try to right click on the services and then click properties, the properties window does not popup or display, however it seems to think it is running because I cannot close services.msc - it says I have to close all properties windows before closing services.msc, however I cannot see any.

Now I am having problems in Windows with things like right-clicking (some menus missing, including the Properties menu in Services.msc and copying/pasting), my Microsoft Anti-Spyware won't run, etc.

I am guessing that these problems and the disabled services are related.

Can anyone tell me how I can fix this?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) should be set to automatic.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator should be set to manual

----------------------------------

can you double click those services, rather than right click?

If you cannot right click at all, you likely have a malware infection or a different problem--maybe corrupt shell extension

If you do not think it is malware, download the following

http://www.nirsoft.n...s/shexview.html

Run it, sort on the company Same and disable all non-ms shell extensions, then reboot. see if the context menu behaves properly after that.