Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista OS won't load

• Please log in to reply

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yes there are some files I need to keep. I've got the Vista system running now started with a boot disk I downloaded. So with it running, would an UPGRADE to WIN7 keep my files and fix the MBR. That's probably too much to ask for.

Ole37

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The upgrade should work as long as the system is in Windows when you start.
Your data should remain safe during the upgrade.

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Will it also correct my MBR problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It should since the mbr has to be rewritten to show Win7

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
OK, Thanks. That's the direction I'll take. Let you know how it turns out.

Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem I will wait for your results. :)

Ole37

Ole37

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Rshaffer61

Water has gone under the bridge! I've got things as I want them now. Have Windows 7 with a clean install.

Now for the rest of the story:

As you remember, I got my running in Vista (lucky) so I kept it on. But as you know the installation process requires a restart. That's when my luck ran out. Was never able to start the system again. I gave into it and took it to a local repair shop. He found that the problem was a bad hard drive.

I looked in the mirror and saw one dumb a**. The computer finally quit seeing the drive. I guess it was slowly dieing on me. I used the HD drive check and it showed all ok. But that was of course when it booted up! When trying to boot from a disk, I pressed F10. The screen showed I had two drives. It labeled the slave drive but the OS drive was never labeled. I noticed it but never saw what it said. It was right there if front of me.

Well thanks for your effort.

From the east of Tennessee (Maryville)
Ole37

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry it was the hard drive that failed and I hope you did not lose much data in the progress.
I am happy you were able to finally resolve the issue even though it may not have been the resolution you were hoping for. Thank you for updating your topic with the final resolution and for your patience with all the steps we took.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you though all this and for your cooperation. Last but not least thank you for choosing GTG and I do hope you will stay and use our forum for any further help and maybe even add your advice if you can for someone else.

From Memphis, Tn