Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Input requested re new laptop

• Please log in to reply

goldhound

goldhound

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
After a very long time researching as well as experience with other mainstream brands i have almost settled on a Dell XPS 15 or 17 (not z model!) with Core i5 2540 CPU, 6gigs RAM, 1 TG SATA 7200 rpm HD, 1080 p and WIDI for occasional push to my HD TV. Premium graphics card of little importance as i do not game at all.
Basically an everyday computer with the emphasis on media and seldom used as a portable other than around the home. I also am given to understand that the XPS comes with minimal bloatware, or used to :) I know that there is no bloatware if purchased from the Microsoft store but no customization available there as i see it.

Currently i have a three year old Dell Studio 1535 with 3 gigs RAM, Core 2 duo @2.00 ghz. It has been excellent with the only issue being a reluctance to wake from sleep and that was a common problem with some Dells. I also have owned and liked Toshiba but it is difficult to find the configuration i want so Dell comes out ahead and i prefer to deal direct.

Would a Core i7 be more than i need given the above parameters? Are there heat issues with the i7 or is that a result of intense gaming or multitasking?
I would much appreciate input that is based on the configuration i have chosen, even if a different OEM as i know there are geeks here that can cut through the "cobwebs" :unsure:

Thank you for advice and suggestions!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

After a very long time researching as well as experience with other mainstream brands i have almost settled on a Dell XPS 15 or 17 (not z model!) with Core i5 2540 CPU, 6gigs RAM, 1 TG SATA 7200 rpm HD, 1080 p and WIDI for occasional push to my HD TV. Premium graphics card of little importance as i do not game at all.
Basically an everyday computer with the emphasis on media and seldom used as a portable other than around the home. I also am given to understand that the XPS comes with minimal bloatware, or used to :) I know that there is no bloatware if purchased from the Microsoft store but no customization available there as i see it.

Currently i have a three year old Dell Studio 1535 with 3 gigs RAM, Core 2 duo @2.00 ghz. It has been excellent with the only issue being a reluctance to wake from sleep and that was a common problem with some Dells. I also have owned and liked Toshiba but it is difficult to find the configuration i want so Dell comes out ahead and i prefer to deal direct.

Would a Core i7 be more than i need given the above parameters? Are there heat issues with the i7 or is that a result of intense gaming or multitasking?
I would much appreciate input that is based on the configuration i have chosen, even if a different OEM as i know there are geeks here that can cut through the "cobwebs" :unsure:

Thank you for advice and suggestions!

Hi goldhound
You have told us what the intended use is of the laptop which is good but you have not provided us with a budget to work with, if you provide your maximum budget we can look for the most appropriate laptop for you (performance and cost factors).

goldhound

goldhound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thank you very much for your reply phillpower2 :)
I am prepared to spend around $1100.00. That is very close to what the XPS would be when equipped as i want it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome goldhound :)
I couldn`t find one with a 1TB HDD http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16834152258 I prefer to have a smaller C/Main HDD and a second larger HDD for storing media and backing up important data, in this case an external USB HDD, 1TB is an awful lot of data to lose should the HDD fail.

goldhound

goldhound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

You are welcome goldhound :)
I couldn`t find one with a 1TB HDD http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16834152258 I prefer to have a smaller C/Main HDD and a second larger HDD for storing media and backing up important data, in this case an external USB HDD, 1TB is an awful lot of data to lose should the HDD fail.

That is a very good point that i neglected to think of. A smaller, say 500 gig HD is all that is needed. I do not keep a lot of important data and do not download music or movies. Also i have a 200 gig accessory drive that i can use. I will take a closer look at the link you gave.
Thank you for that! :unsure: