Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB problem

• Please log in to reply

DLove

DLove

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi folks!
Have a bit of a problem here with my USB 2.0 ports.
I have a Medion laptop, which has functioned fine until now.
Was running XP home.
A little while ago (2 weeks), my USB ports stopped working. They are still listed under Hardware management, no error messages, but I can't get any peripherals, including HD and mouse, to work through them.
I did a wipe of my C: HD and a clean install with XP pro and still no go.
There is a CD with the computer which contains drivers, however, there is no driver for XP pro on it, and it saya in the ReadMe file for the Win2K driver that an additional file is needed for XP Pro.
Any ideas?

Thanks for your time and effort,
DLove

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I realise that your USB isn't working but has XP detected & installed the USB ports since the fresh install? (ie do they appear in device manager as functioning correctly)

DLove

DLove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Samm,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes they do appear to be recognized by Windows in Hardware manager and functioning properly.
/DLove

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I would say that it sounds like they've been disabled in the bios, but if this were so, then XP shouldn't have detected & installed them, so I'm puzzled.

The only other thing you could try, to completely eliminate the possibility of this being an XP issue or any software issue, would be to test the USB ports independently of windows. To do this, you would need to enable legacy USB function in the bios, if it isn't already. Then connect a usb device that works without windows ie a usb keyboard or drive

Keyboard would be the easiest way of testing it I suspect as you just need to boot from a floppy disk & make sure the USB keyboard works.

It the usb still doesn't work this way & the bios settings are correct for it, then I would have to assume that some part of the USB bus / controller is blown. Unless of course you have somehow managed to damage both your USB drive cable & the mouse cable.

DLove

DLove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Samm,
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I must admit it does seem to me a bit strange. I'lll give your solution a try.
However, I think that it might be a driver issue as I had been doing some clearing up of my disk around that time and it might have been that.
Alternatively there is a restore packet that somes with the computer which I might try as a last/ditch effort.
Thanks again,
/D

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I thought you said you had performed a fresh install of windows since the problem started?

DLove

DLove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes I have, to XP Pro.
If nothing else worked, I was going to try that, albeit futile as it might seem.
I really don't understand this. The ports are all recognized, there is power in them, but no peripheral will work when plugged in.
Haven't had the opportunity to test the USB legacy function.
Have tried updating BIOS and chipset, no luck.

Is there any chance that I need a driver specific to XP Pro?
The USB is Intel.

Edited by DLove, 02 June 2005 - 01:44 AM.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Your install - did you load chipset or motherboard drivers? Did you have SP1 or SP2 on your installation disc or was it an older CD? Did you do all of your updates? It sounds like you used something other than the restore disc. USB 2.0 is disabled pre-SP1 by design but you'd also get yellow marks in the control panel which you haven't indicated as having. If there was a specific driver necessary for 2K and you have it, you can always create a resore point then try that 2K driver and if its a no-go just roll back.

:tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Rockster2U is absolutely right about the pre-SP1 lack of support for usb v2. But I think theres something else going on here, as well as or instead of just that.

I need to clarify a few things though cuz I is getting confused :tazz:

1. can you confirm that you upgraded from xp home to pro?

2. does xp detect there are usb devices (ie mouse/drive) at all, even though they don't work?

3. Are you using a usb hub at all?

4. does the usb drive have its own power supply?

5. Do you have SP1 or SP2 etc installed?

6. Have you tried both booting up with a usb device already connected and booting with no devices connected, then connecting one after XP has loaded?

Also, try one thing very quickly for me:
In device manager, click on USB 'root hub' entry & select properties->power management. Disable the 'allow computer to turn devices off to save power' option.
While you're in there, make sure a USB device is connected & tell me what is says in the power consumption box.

DLove

DLove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear Samm,
Thanks again for taking the time to look at this problem.
In answer to your questions:

1) Yes it is XP Pro definitely. Logo sez it on startup, and in System it sez it's XP Pro, 2002 version, with SP2.

2)No it does not detect devices at all. No "Found new Hardware", nothing. Firewire still works.

3)I believe so, however I think it might be internal. Forgive my n00bishness. In device manager, there are a number of entries for USB, which appear as follows.

Universal Serial Bus Controllers
-Intel® 82801 EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
-Intel® 82801 EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
-Intel® 82801 EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
-Intel® 82801 EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
-Intel® 82801 EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
-Intel® 82801 EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
-USB Root Hub
-USB Root Hub
-USB Root Hub
-USB Root Hub
-USB Root Hub

All in all I have 4 USB ports on the machine. According to the box the beast came in, they should all be USB2

4) The external devices I have attempted to use have ranged from passive mechanichal mice, to externallyand USB powered optical mice, to an external powered USB HD. None have worked. The USB powered optical mice did however, get power and lased after being connected. Just didn't move the cursor.

5)SP2

6) Yes, still no luck.

Tried the last thing in your post. Disabled the 'allow computer to turn devices off to save power' option for all hubs listed. All hubs listed as no power consumed under the "Power" section in properties.
What I donøt understand is that I have 4 USB ports, yet 4 hubs listed, all listed as selv-powered the three of which are listed as having twoports available and the last one listed as having 8 ports avilable. (?)
Otherwise they are all listed as having 500mA available per port.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Thanks again for your time,
DLove

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you tried any usb devices since disabling that setting? I don't think it will make any difference actually, this sounds more complicated than that.

Are you able to go into the bios & tell me what USB options you have. ie can you disable any of the usb controllers or change any other settings pertaining to the USB function? Don't actually change them if they are available, I just want to know what we have to work with here.

BTW I knew you were using XP Pro, it's the OS you upgraded FROM that I was trying to confirm!

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
yes, i am having this same problem. rite now. i would also like to know a solution for this problem. but here is something to try. uninstall everything under usb on device manager. then check for hardware changes or something (it should be under action). after that, the usb will be detected and reinstalled. after installation, do you get any errors? if you do, is it a surge error? thats wut i got.

DLove

DLove

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Samm,
I upgraded from XP Home, which the computer came with. Paradoxically, because the USB ports wouldn't work!

Have tried mechanichal mouse and HD since disabling the option for Window sto power them down, but no luck.

WIll get on the BIOS first thing in the morning. Way to tired to look at a blue screen right now.

Thanks,
D-Love

PabloH

PabloH

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I seem to have this exact same problem. Did you ever resolve it?

Many thanks in advance.

Tallyho43

Tallyho43

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I went through this very frustrating problem recently and finally found www.usbman.com and the forums there. Tried everything that's been mentioned so far in this thread, without success, knew the USB ports were recognised in other user accounts, but essentially it boiled down to being a registry error sometime or other, and the only way out after weeks of working on the problem was:

If you have another user account with admin privileges, restart, go to that user account then create a completely new user account.

Restart again.

Copy your profile from your old user account to the new user account.

Then you should be okay.

The advice to me was not to forget to delete the old user account, but that did cause some other problems so I had to Restore it.