Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen, Tried everything i could think of.

• Please log in to reply

oShadowkun

oShadowkun

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, thanks for viewing my thread, my acer aspire 5515 laptop (i put in a 2.6ghz dual core cpu quite a bit ago) has a black screen whenever it starts up, no acer start up screen, just black. It happened when i was browsing funnyjunk, and my screen went black for a second, then it flashed BSOD really quick, so i couldn't see what the error was, also I'm dualbooting windows XP professional w/ sp3 and vista, and my mom has the same laptop, but not modified, completely stock. so i took her ram and put it into my computer, nothing. i took out her hard drive and put it into my computer, still nothing. i hooked her laptop up to a seperate monitor, and her laptop worked, and i tried my laptop with the seperate monitor, and nothing. black screen still. but when i power down my laptop, i can hear the seperate monitor shutting down too, so i don't know. i have a video of my laptop starting up, and a video of the bottom half of my laptop starting up, so you can hear it starting up better. I will upload those to youtube and link them here soon. I've done almost everything i could think of, and i've already put in a recovery disk, and the windows xp disk and kept tapping a button on my keyboard so it boots from the cd, but nothing. I've tried f2, f8, f10, f12, and esc when it starts up, but still nothing..
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
Dillan

- Video of it starting up.
- Video of it starting up, except close to the bottom of the laptop so you can hear it better.

Edited by oShadowkun, 01 September 2011 - 05:52 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

Look what I found for you:

http://tim.id.au/lap...aspire 5515.pdf

Start reading at page 142! You should be able to get the ROM file from the Acer driver downloads page for your model.

Cheers

oShadowkun

oShadowkun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello,

Look what I found for you:

http://tim.id.au/lap...aspire 5515.pdf

Start reading at page 142! You should be able to get the ROM file from the Acer driver downloads page for your model.

Cheers

Wow, thanks! i can't really find the file though, i found the file online but i don't know if it will work for my laptop.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

What about this one? When you download and unzip it, there is a ROM file in there.

http://global-downlo...RE&Step3=ASPIRE 5515&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_7

Cheers

EDIT: The link above does look broken, but it still works for me. Let me know what you got.

oShadowkun

oShadowkun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh yep, there is a ROM file along with a WPH, i'll try this.
You do edit the rom file to say JAL90x64.fd, correct?
EDIT: sorry to go off topic here, but what honda do you have?

Edited by oShadowkun, 02 September 2011 - 07:31 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Haha Honda! I have an Accord CD5.

oShadowkun

oShadowkun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for the help, but now i have another problem preventing me from fixing my laptop..
Im trying to create a phoenix crisis disk, but i only have a usb drive/flash drive, and the wincrisis exe can only recognize floppy drives because the exe is pretty old, and i can't make it recognize my usb. can you help me?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The only help I could give you would be to refer back to page 142. Everything is on there, including how to use the USB drive. Format it with FAT32 filesystem, then copy the ROM file directly into the root folder of the USB stick.

Then on the laptop, I would unplug battery and AC adapter. Plug USB thumbdrive into USB port on the laptop. Then we are at step 3, so continue on from there.

oShadowkun

oShadowkun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, i fixed it, but now it's broken again. i ran avast, malware bytes, and when i was playing my favorite game, gmod, it went black screen again. I'm starting to think it's because my laptop is overheating. I have 4 movies under it, and a fan running on it 24/7. So the fan is uncovered. I tried to do the crisis disk again on my laptop, and that doesn't work..

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh wow. Bad luck! Must be time to recycle this one huh?

Or if you are really keen, you can try pulling it apart, cleaning it out, fresh thermal paste as you put the heatsink back on etc... Does the fan spin or does it need replacing?

oShadowkun

oShadowkun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Oh wow. Bad luck! Must be time to recycle this one huh?

Or if you are really keen, you can try pulling it apart, cleaning it out, fresh thermal paste as you put the heatsink back on etc... Does the fan spin or does it need replacing?

i actually just replaced the thermal paste on my cpu. I don't have any compressed air though, so i can't clean it out. It starts up like normal, the HDD LED is flashing, but the screen is just black. I hear the fan turn on and it turns on like normal.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds like I would try recovering again? As a last-ditch effort.