Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD error 0x0000008E - dmp file included

• Please log in to reply

Boherb

Boherb

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I just found the site, and it looks like visitors get great help here, so I am giving it a try. My Dell laptop in the last two months started getting the BSOD. I ignored it the first couple times, but now it happened twice yesterday, and already first thing this morning. From looking at the dmp files, I received the BSOD on 6/4, 8/10, 8/17, 8/25, 8/30(twice), and today.

The part of the message I wrote down was:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XA0F48217, 0X98DA071C, 0X00000000)
*** tcpip.sys - Address A0F48217 base at AOEFE000, Datestamp 485b99AD

I occassionaly attache an external hard drive for backups, I have an old epson printer that I hook up and unhook up multiple times a day as I move the laptop around, and an old scanner I hook up on rare occassion. I also have a second monitor. Other than that no other hardware. Also, no software that would matter except various antivirus. I have not made changes recently that I can think of.

From another post I got the impression that it would help to have the latest dmp file attached. I tried, but is says I am not permitted to upload this kind of file. So, I posted it here.

Could someone give me guidance as to how to resolve the error, or what additional information you need? It is greatly appreaciated.

Thank you,
JB

note: I accidentally posted this first in the Vista forum, so am copying it here. I am not seeing how to delete the original post.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
On Thu 9/1/2011 1:30:03 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: D:\(System)\Desktop\Mini090111-01.dmp
uptime: 1 day, 16:06:25
This was probably caused by the following module: avgtdix.sys (avgtdix+0x2B61)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFA0F48217, 0xFFFFFFFF98DA071C, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: avgtdix.sys .
Google query: avgtdix.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

I presume you are running AVG antivirus? Update it or reinstalling it might cure the problem.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if uninstalling and then reinstalling AVG doesn't fix you up ...try this

download and install WhoCrashed from http://www.resplende...ashedSetup.exe' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>here..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...

if you get a message
This software requires the right version of Windows Debugging Tools for your type of computer. Because this is not normally installed and is not redistributable, we suggest you select the download option from below. Then the right package will be downloaded to a temporary folder and the required files will be extracted from the package automatically. You only need to do this once
click on download then try running it again

WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

Boherb

Boherb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you so much for the help!

I removed AVG and have not had a problem since. I will keep an eye on it, and if it returns, follow the rest of the directions provided.

Thanks again,
JB

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you reinstall avg or another AV...

Boherb

Boherb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did not. I have adaware free version. I thought that might be enough. i did not want to reinstall AVG and risk the issue. Is it safe to assume it will not repeat?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have adaware free version. I thought that might be enough.

nope...avast is another free AV...TRY IT...ITS HERE,,,