Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't shut down, anti-viruses lock up, programs not worki

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Shepparrd

Shepparrd

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
So, I got this computer a month or two ago and have had problems with it. When I attempt to shut down it goes to the "Shutting down" part and just stays there. It never shuts down and I'm forced to hold the power button down. On top of the many of my anti-viral/anti-spyware applications freeze after scanning a certain amount of files. By freeze I mean it says it's still scanning but never moves past a certain point. On top of THAT my windows automatic updates freezes when it starts up, and also my windows media player will freeze on start up as well.

I posted here a while back with no success because I got tired of trying to keep up with the next step, but here I am attempting again.

I ended up, as I can recall, failing to get OTL to work on my PC...

Edited by Shepparrd, 01 September 2011 - 09:26 PM.

Advertisements

Shepparrd

Shepparrd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Bump...?

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi and welcome to GeeksToGo! Please make sure you read all of the instructions and fixes thoroughly before continuing with them. If you have any queries or you are unsure about anything, just say and I'll help you out :)

Sorry for the delay.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, I would appreciate you letting me know. If not please perform the following steps below so I can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

Step 1

Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
  • The application window will appear
  • Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • Defogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK
IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running Defogger, please post the log defogger_disable which will appear on your desktop.

Do not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.

Step 2

• Please download aswMBR.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.

Posted Image
  • When asked if you want to download Avast's virus definitions please select No.
  • Click the Scan button to start scan.

Posted Image
  • On completion of the scan click Save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.