Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Irreversable lockups/freezes screen distorts with white blocks

• Please log in to reply

niisan

niisan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi,

so im kinda in a bind here, im used to having and fixing pc issues without other people and have gotten good at it, i build computers for a hobby and i know a trick or 2....
but this one, wow havent even heard of it and it seems like 100 things could be causing this issue, help would be appreciated:P!

here we go:

since 1 month now i've been getting crashes and lock ups where my screen starts to slowly {3-7 seconds time} generate more and more distortions and then the pc it locks completely and i have to shut down by pressing the power button 5 secs.
since sometimes if i reboot within a minute of this event, i get the same distortions while booting up and sometimes it locks before entering windows, sometimes it logs in and then locks up.
wich makes ME believe it might be a thermal issue.....

now, i check my fan speeds 100 times a day, i have them on my desktop as widgets, and sometimes i manually put them on 80% to get the temp down but heres the deal, my Q6600 cpu has tjmax of 85 C, it never goes higher than 60 Cstressed/40 C idle..... on startup and when browsing it sticks to 30-35 C
my gpu gets hotter though... but thats normal i believe, stock fan speed is 37% and on idle&browsing the temps are 50-57 C, stressed it would go above 70 C..
but lately i manually override the fanspeed and put it on 66% or 80% wich makes temps even in stressed conditions go below 55 C.

i could speculate about driver and software changes, but since i dont know the exact date this problem first appeared, it wouldnt be of any help, so im just gonna follow whatever advice im given, and let you guys speculate!

heres my specs:
MB: Msi P6N SLI
Cpu: Intel Q6600 (kentsfield) 2,4GHZ (core 2 Quad)
GPU: Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB
5GB ram: different types, cycletimes and capacity, not smart but it hasnt given me issues before and windows recognises all 4 sticks!
(my HD and DVD are on S-ata 1&2 above slot 1 is a small light burning orange, (between my cmos battery and S-ata1 on MOBO might be normal but after 2 years of cleaning i noticed this just now)
tried the last 3 vga driver versions for my card and 3 latest nvid control panels directx is always up to date

times like this i wish i wasn't "experienced" then my system would be default, but since i use all kinds of tools and cleaners, i also mightve been stupid and erased something important....wich is causing the issue....
ill wait for a reply before i continue spamming my own post with 99999 more words:P

thnx for reading!

!update! removed all vga drivers and software, rebooted and win7 update dloaded and installed a driver 159mb's (sounds about the original size) and it recognises the card etc... however this didnt fix the issue (rechecked if everything is secure and kept the cover off, bloing in with an additional fan... so i dont see how it could be a thermal issue, but just in case...and it froze again, last temp displayed was 40 C CPU and 57C gpu)

also, in windows safe-mode it shows distortions aswell, but on a lower level, and it doesnt lock up..
---Used "whocrashed.exe" to locate the bad seed... it gives me hall.dll and intelppm.sys on the same time stamp--- side note, for some reason not all crashes are logged, or whocrashed cant find them, since this rig is crashing multiple times a day now for a week and i find only 5 logs...

Edited by niisan, 02 September 2011 - 05:46 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First, there is NO hal.dll in vista or Win7. If you get such an error then your Boot.ini file is incorrect.

http://pcsupport.abo...ows-7-vista.htm

On the light on the motherboard, you need to find out if this is the e-sata connector light, or maybe the cmos reset light. Find out by downloading the manual.

http://www.google.co...W5YoLNA&cad=rja

If you switch to using the onboard intel graphics, do you still get the intel ppm error? I say this because i have had problems crop up with slightly older GPU's on newer computers. Usually upgrading to a newer GPU fixes the problem. What does your event viewer say about any problems you have?

SRX660