Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP randomly auto-adjusting, shifted screen

• Please log in to reply

shmalligator

shmalligator

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I run windows XP and a box will randomly appear that says "Auto Adjust" and the brightness and contract settings blink for a second and then it goes back to normal. Sometimes it happens several times in succession and sometimes just every once in a while. Now it looks like my screen has shifted to the right. There is now a black margin on the right side of my screen, and things on the left edge of the screen are cut off. If I take a screenshot, it shows up totally normal. I edited this screenshot I took to show you what my monitor looks like.

I've tried changing the resolution but it doesn't seem to help. Last time this happened, it turned out I had a virus, but I've been running malwarebytes and avast and nothing is showing up so I don't think that's the problem. Soo do you guys know what could be wrong?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you are sure it is not a virus then there are 3 things that can auto adjusts a screen

1- The screen itself, most have an auto adjust feature/button and maybe your button is getting stuck.

2- Your video card settings, most video card these days come with a program to adjust all the different features on your card which include the size and position of your screen.

3- Window itself wil adjust the resolution of your screen.

Do you knopw what is the program that appears in the box (windows, Video card or screen menu)

shmalligator

shmalligator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
It is a screen menu. It looks like the button is getting stuck because I hit that button on my monitor and it went back to normal. :unsure: Thank you for helping me figure out the problem! Sometimes the simplest solutions escape us. :)