Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - memory problems?

• Please log in to reply

makihara

makihara

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hello,

I have a winxp dell laptop that is 6 years old (RAM replaced 2 years ago).

So i was on the internet this morning, reading an article when suddenly I got a BSOD about my ntfs.sys driver. I wasn't doing anything unusual at the time and I haven't installed any new drivers recently or added any new hardware.

On reboot, more often than not I get a BSOD or sometimes I get through to XP and things are ok for a bit.

I have had the following stop codes and messages over the last few hours since the problem began:

Page fault in non paged area with stop code 0x050
Pfn List corrupt
stop code 0x08E

I had a look on the Internet and found that my memory may be the problem so I ran memtest+. I did one pass and there were no errors.

(also, I tried to used eventvwr.msc to get more information on the BSODs but it said the log file was corrupt? I've cleared it for now)

Any idea what's going on?

Thank you!

Edited by makihara, 04 September 2011 - 06:59 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
BSODs are usually caused by one of three things, in order of most common:

1) Device Driver issues, usually either corrupt, missing or the wrong one
2) defective memory and/or memory controller failure.
3) Windows issues, which may also be caused by conflicting software programs (such as multiple anti-virus programs) or faulty or other failing hardware.

An ntfs.sys failure would indicate a hard drive issue. The hard drive will have a brand name on it. On the website of that brand will be a hard drive diagnostic program you can download and use to test the hard drive.

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hello,

Thanks for your response.

I found out my HDD was a Samsung so i ran the "ES-tool" which took about an hour but no errors were found!

Strangely, without any interventions, the problem hasn't reared its head for about an hour now. Not sure why.

IS there anything more I can do to try and pinpoint where the problem came from?

Thanks,
James