Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help! Network issues

• Please log in to reply

usautoglass

usautoglass

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I am running a small wireless network in my office. I have one main system with a router and a DSL connection, 2 laptops, and one other desktop that connect. I have had issues with the desktop getting connected to the shared flders since day one. No problem with the internet connection, and no issues with shared or internet with the laptops. I worked on the sdesktop for three days, tweeking every setting I could think of last week, and finally got itconnect on Friday. The problem is I don't know how! Then, got to work today, and was told it was offline again.
The desktops are both Emachines, I am using a lynksys wireless router, and a D-Link airplus DWL g-520 wireless card in the desktop with the issues.
I am not a network guru by any means, 100% self taught, and somehow got roped into an unofficail IT position at my company. So, i am at a loss as to how to solve this problem. I welcome any comments, suggestions, or clarifications of system settings and or hardware.
Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, you said that the desktop has had problems from day one. For starters, since all this is wireless, how close is the desktop to the wireless router? I have ran into issues with the wireless connection being too close. Usually anything more than about 6 feet will do fine. Also, on the desktop in question, go to the LAN Connection properties and make sure that the "Client for Microsoft Netoworks" is installed and checked. Usually that is installed by default but have ran into several cases where it wasn't. Check these couple things and post back with info.

Greazy Mcgeezy

usautoglass

usautoglass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, computers are in seperate rooms, plety close enough for signal strength, but no to close, either. On both network connections (wireless and lan) Client for Microsoft Netoworks is installed.. The Lan is disabled, as I am strictly wireless.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Yes, this is why I still prefer a wired network. At least you know you are physically connected. LOL. The other desktop that is connecting, does it have the same wireless card or different?? If it's the same and it's working, try installing the card in the machine that doesn't work. If that works, then the wireless card is bad, replace it. Make sure that your wireless card is shown in the Device Manager. If so, and it shows no problems, use the wireless network utility (should have been included with PCI card) to scan for available wireless networks. If it finds the network, good, choose to connect to it. If not, then there could be several smaller issues that would need to be dealt with individually. Post back with responses to the other questions/suggestions.

Greazy Mcgeezy

usautoglass

usautoglass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The computer is accessing the network, it is logging onto the internet. It just cannot access the shared drive. The most frustrating/confusing part is that it did on Monday, would not work on Tuesday, played with it over the next three days, got it working Friday evening, then came back today and same issue,...

Edited by usautoglass, 31 May 2005 - 09:42 PM.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, I see, all the functionality is there with the exception of a shared drive/s on a remote host/s? Is the desktop connected to a domain or workgroup? Do you get specific error messages when it does not connect? Are you accessing the shared drive through "My Network Places", an explorer bar, or a mapped drive on the local machine? Do you have a firewall running on the machine in question? I know I am asking a lot of questions, but with each situation different, I need to know more about how you are connected before I can understand where the problem is.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Also, this topic should probably be sent to the Networking Forum. I will also help you there if still interested.

Greazy Mcgeezy