Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP mini notebook starts up then freezes. Can it be recovered?

• Please log in to reply

macitajones

macitajones

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The notebook is running windows xp. model #1154NR. It starts up then freezes as soon as I click on anything. Does this model have a recovery utility pre installed in it? I was supposed to create the Disaster Recovery discs when I first got it, but I failed to do that! I know that was stupid of me! Now I need your help what can I do?!

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Does this model have a recovery utility pre installed in it?

I read the HP website for your model and it doesn't look like it does. You need an external DVD drive and the recovery disks.

Can you boot into safe mode? Press F8 repeatedly at startup till you get the selection screen.

Edited by skifxr, 07 September 2011 - 10:04 PM.

macitajones

macitajones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for replying so quick. I was able to boot into safemode. where do I go from here? So if I didn't make the recovery cds there is no other options?

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
OK, boot into safe mode with networking. Browse the web. Do your usual stuff for a while. Does it freeze?

You may be able to order recovery CDs from HP or just buy an XP CD from eBay or some online retailers.