Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop-Windows issue? hardware?

• Please log in to reply

lizzmac

lizzmac

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm desperate. I can tinker a bit, but I'm running out of ideas and time. My daughter has an MSI A-6000 laptop running Windows 7. As background (maybe helpful, maybe not) a few months ago she suddenly lost the wireless icon in the system tray, and the ability to detect wireless connections (we have a Netgear router in the house). I was able to get that restored by disabling and re-enabling the network adapter. During that process, discovered she had quite a few viral infections and cleaned them all (I think).

About 5-6 weeks ago she started having problems again, and this time nothing I do can restore the wireless ability. And there are a fleet of other symptoms:
- was able to get the wireless icon back in the system tray, but when I click on 'connect' to our router and am asked for the key - can type only one letter, then get an error message about the referenced memory not being found
- similarly, when I click on the Start button and type in the search box (say, to type 'cmd') - once I type one letter, an 'x' appears on the right of the search box, and I'm not able to actually search for anything
- chkdsk has been running on startup repeatedly - I have run the (oh, shoot, what's it called - the Windows diagnostic thing, where you can right-click on the drive, and it checks the disk and repairs, if possible, when re-started)
- occasionally get the BSOD referencing Process1_intialization_failed or a kernel error
- I've run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and it doesn't seem to find a problem
- following a search online, I downloaded and ran HDTune and it said there are two bad sectors

It seems there are corrupted files and/or a problem with the hard disk - but I'm not sure where to go from here. She's leaving in a week for college, and I'd sure like to have this fixed before then :) Are there other tools I can use to help me find out exactly what the problem is?

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for any help you can provide. As I said above, I'm desperate!

Liz

One more thing - Windows Update can't run. I tried downloading and running the System Readiness Tool (I think that's what it's called) - and got a message saying it could not be installed.

Advertisements