Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) [roblem due to tcpip.sys file

• Please log in to reply

adlb1300

adlb1300

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Can anyone help with my dilemma? A few weeks ago, my computer started getting the BSOD (blue screen of death) and crashing, and in the small window of time I have to read the error message before the computer shuts down completely, it says something about "tcpip.sys"....I am led to believe this is corrupted. Anyone have a solution they can recommend?

I am running XP with the latest security updates.

Thank you so much!

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Download WhoCrashed from here: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Let it analyze your crash dumps and post the results here.

adlb1300

adlb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for your reply. I ran the program you suggested and it said that memory dump was not enabled so there none to analyze. I have enabled it and at this point will have to probably wait for it to happen again.

adlb1300

adlb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok so it finally happened again and the following is what WhoCrashed told me about the crash:

On Wed 9/28/2011 1:55:10 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini092711-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswtdi.sys (aswTdi+0xA57)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFB146B217, 0xFFFFFFFFB01AC934, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aswtdi.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: ALWIL Software
description: avast! TDI Filter Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswtdi.sys (avast! TDI Filter Driver, ALWIL Software).
Google query: aswtdi.sys ALWIL Software KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

Odd thing is I do not use Avast for Anti Virus protection and have not had it on the computer for awhile. Can I simply remove the file in question since the software is no longer on the computer?

I have also attached the dump file itself in case it has more info.

Thanks

Attached Files