Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2010 running on Windows XP = 2 x Personal Folders

• Please log in to reply

Knowsum

Knowsum

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have somehow managed to create two personal folders in Outlook 2010 Contacts. Can anyone advise how I can merge them into one folder without having duplicates?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I hope you don't have too many contacts. The only way I know is to manually go through them and copy any different ones across.

Knowsum

Knowsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Troy thanks for the response but I wish you had a different message. In the smallest folder there are 765 contacts and in the other 1,449.

I think my printer would pack up just printing a list :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
How about exporting them all to a PST file? You should be able to choose to export just the Contacts part.

Export the largest one first. Then when you export the 2nd, smaller file, choose the option not to export duplicates and save it to exactly the same file.

This should create a third one (I know, I know, just bear with me) which has only one of every contact in it. Then you can remove the two other ones (well by remove, I mean disconnect them from Outlook and rename the files or something so you can access them back again if you ever need to).

How does that sound?

Knowsum

Knowsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
That does sound better. I will let you know how I get on. :)

Knowsum

Knowsum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
:)

I have reached the limit of my knowledge of the workings of MS. Help would probably prevent me making more mistakes.

In Outlook, under contacts, I have three files:

Suggested Contacts
Contacts - Personal Folders 1451 records 6291KB
Contacts - Personal Folders 760 records 2365KB

I have created a merged file (as suggested) name 'Contacts1.pst' 10185 KB

Now I have use 'Search Companion' to look for 'Personal Folders' and was told they do not exist.

I use the same 'Search Companion' to look for .pst files and it has come up with:

Outlook.pst C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook 944,401 KB
Archive.pst...............ditto......................\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook 1,764,537 KB
Contacts1.pst.............ditto......................ditto....................................................10,185 KB
Outlook.pst...............ditto.....................ditto.................................................2,400,657 KB

I suppose this makes sense but I am not sure where to go from here.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
From within Outlook, confirm that all of the contacts are in fact showing up together under the Contacts1.pst file. If so, then it sounds like job is complete. Just remove the old ones and only keep the new one.