Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet keeps switching on and off at constantly random times.

• Please log in to reply

KazumaArcend

KazumaArcend

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good morning, this is my first time here in 'geeks to go' and i am here about my internet problem, i already have my system specs on my profile but i will put them up here as well just in case.

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard Company
Model: HP Compaq dx2400 Microtower
Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU E1500 @2.20 GHz 2.20 GHz
Memory(RAM): 1.00 GB
System Type 32-bit Operating System

I use Windows Vista(regretably) and i use DMAX internet provided by my Dish Network TV provider and for a few days my internet will not stop switching on and off for no good reason, mostly when i start trying to play my online PC games and it never did before until about 2-3 days ago. It has even been leaving while i have been trying to register here and also post this topic and i came here after searching for ways to fix it, i have tried the diagnose and repair on the networks and i have tried changing the power options along with reconnecting the cables and restarting a few times. I have also tried scanning for viruses and getting rid of a few trojans and cookies each time but still no success, right now while i type i keep seeing the internet go on and off at different times, i tried also to see if there was a pattern or certain timing to when it went on and off again but it doesn't it just comes and goes whenever it wants, please help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi KazumaArcend :)
Couple of suggestions for you;
First: try flushing the DNS cache and cookies "how to" below;
1.Click the Windows Orb
2.In the Search/Run box type and run: cmd
3.Type and run: ipconfig /flushdns

Second: Check the properties of the onboard Realtek 8111C-GR Gigabit Ethernet controller in the Device Manager, to do this go to Start, Control Panel, Device Manager then the + sign at Network adapters, are there any yellow ! or red Xs present?

Third: To make sure that there are no hidden infections present please read the guidance below;
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other possible causes and solutions.