Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista wiped clean, won't boot

• Please log in to reply

bellavie

bellavie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have sold HP 3220N after having the PC restored to factory settings. When new owner starts up, computer will not go beyond the "Welcome" screen. I asked the electronics store to not wipe the Vista OS and from what I'm being told, it does start with the Vista OS logo but won't go past the Welcome screen. Any advice?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
1. Welcome to GeekstoGo

I asked the electronics store to not wipe the Vista OS

When new owner starts up, computer will not go beyond the "Welcome" screen

Did it load Vista OK when you sold it. I presume you did try it
Will it start in Safe Mode.
Or Last Known Good.

As I presume that Vista was pre-installed ansd that you do not have the Vista CD/DVD
then if it was pre-installed and the recovery partition and allied software is still in place then do this

If Startup Repair is a preinstalled recovery option on your computer:

• Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.
  • Do one of the following:

• If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.
  • If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.
On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER. (If Repair your computer is not listed as an option, then your computer does not include Startup Repair as a preinstalled recovery option.)<li> Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.<li> Select a user name and enter the password, and then click OK.<li> On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem and, if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 September 2011 - 01:56 PM.

bellavie

bellavie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Such a concise and thorough reply, I appreciate your input. Reluctantly I took it back to the electronics store and told him of the problem. It would not boot for him either, he tried a few things and then determined the problem was that it had been powered down while in hibernation. He disabled hibernation and then restarted x 3. Problem solved.

Thanks again for your response.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Pleased it was solved.
Thank you for posting the reply.
Come back of course, now you have joined us whenever you need to.