Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time building a PC... needing some assistance please!

• Please log in to reply

Josh Wright

Josh Wright

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone! This is my first time building a PC! I am really heavy into movie editing, special effects, and gaming in the highest graphics and FPS (frames per second) possible! I am really need a great computer build and I have some parts picked out! However, I think some may be a bit overkill so any help cutting down on costs would be fantastic!

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6950 1GB Video Card ($217.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian-Li PC-K58W ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7260S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $981.46
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-09-15 16:40 EDT-0400)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Josh. Posted Image

That will be a very good build and I don"t think it is overkill for what you want it to do. Some suggestions to get the best performance and features for your money.

You should be aware that installing an after market heat-sink and or fan will void the warranty given by both Intel and AMD. The stock cooler on the SB 2600k will do the job perfectly so I would stay with the stock cooler, save the money or use on the build.

The same warning applies to over-clocking. You undertake it at your own risk.

Consider changing the Mobo to a Z68 one, allowing you to get the most from your CPU. Your selected board and 4 other to compare. http://www.newegg.co...2^13-130-582-TS

Although your case is a good price and reasonable quality, it does not appear to have dust filters, only has 2 fans and if you want to add more, according to one reviewer, you have to buy special mounting grommets, I would do a little more research before deciding on a case.

Are you using parts you already have, ie screen, mouse, keyboard?

Did you use a power supply calculator to determine the size you needed, like this one? http://www.extreme.outervision.com/

You should use a power calculator after selecting all other parts. You may be able to use 650W instead of the one you selected.

Edited by iammykyl, 15 September 2011 - 10:57 PM.

Josh Wright

Josh Wright

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Heya Iammykyl! Thanks for your suggestions!

I am a completely noob to building computers! Finding these parts took me a long time but I think I can do some adjusting :)

-Okay so i can take the CPU cooler out of the equation then? Sounds great to me! I'll use the on board one!

-I'm confused on which Z68 one to take! With all of these options you have given me I still will be able to fit the RAM and video card in, correct? Again, I apologize I am completely noobish to building!

-I'm having trouble finding a good case for this one. I googled it a bit and cannot seem to find one that is suitable. I don't need anything stylish (although stylish is a plus) to be honest. I really just wants something to keep my computer from overheating while rendering out videos! Do you have any suggestions for me?

-I'm not sure how to use the power supply calculator but my buddy said I could use a 600w or even a 500w

-Changing RAM to http://pcpartpicker....y-pgd38g1333elk to save on some cash. Good idea?

-I have a monitor but planning on getting a new mouse and keyboard soon!

Thanks a bundle!

Edited by Josh Wright, 15 September 2011 - 11:23 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

-Okay so i can take the CPU cooler out of the equation then?

Yes.

-I'm confused on which Z68 one to take! With all of these options you have given me I still will be able to fit the RAM and video card in, correct? Again, I apologize I am completely noobish to building!

The Motherboards will all perform in a very similar way, they just have slightly different features. This would be my choice as it support faster RAM, without over-clocking, ATX Form Factor, the PCI-E slots are widely space apart. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157271

You will be able to fit your selected video card to any of the boards.

The type of RAM should be selected from your final choice of Motherboard and the manufacturers QVL, (qualified vendors list, meaning that the RAM listed has been tested on that particular board and is compatible)

No need to apologize we all start off as noobies and keep learning.

CASE.

I don't need anything stylish (although stylish is a plus) to be honest. I really just wants something to keep my computer from overheating while rendering out videos!

I can only recomend cases I have used in my builds. No case is perfect, they all have some quirk or other but all of these have really good air flow and control. The more features you want, the more you pay.

http://www.newegg.co...6^11-129-066-TS

Select the RAM after deciding on the Mobo.

Josh Wright

Josh Wright

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay I think I finally have it sorted out

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($132.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6950 1GB Video Card ($217.55 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7260S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $768.36
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-09-16 12:42 EDT-0400)

Excluded the OS above.

Case: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129066

I think that's finally sorted out and I should be good to go! Is there anything else I should be doing, friend or does that all look 'A-okay'?

Edited by Josh Wright, 16 September 2011 - 10:42 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Josh Wright.
I wish you the best of luck.
May I suggest you carefully read this article by one of our GeekstoGo staff.
http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

You will find there, excellent advice.

I would also urge you to obtain a cheap computer. Many are available, beyond their useful service life, for small amounts of cash.
Take it completely to pieces. Then rebuild it. You will I feel sure, gain valubale experience before starting to build the new system. You may save yourself a lot of heartache and expense.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 September 2011 - 06:24 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
The Patriot memory selected> Been searching around Forums and found some reports of instability when running at the default 1.65v, so they have under-clocked to 1.5v to get a stable PC. I do not say that this would happen with your build, but I would play safe.

The following is a faster RAM running at 1.5v. they are also a fairly low profile sticks so you will have no problems with installing the heat-sink and fan.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231416

Mobo specification page, Suggest you download the manual to familiarize yourself with the board.

http://www.asrock.co...Extreme3%20Gen3

Very good choice for the PSU but be aware it is not modular so you will need to use good cable management so you get the best airflow through the case.

You are ready to go.

Follow the link that Macboatmaster Posted Image gave for the tutorial. Any more questions? just whistle.

Edited by iammykyl, 16 September 2011 - 11:43 PM.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm far from an expert, Josh, but first . . . Glad to see you wanting to build your computer!

I wanted to suggest to you one big thing about the case, since the one you picked is the very one I just used for my own first build. As iammykyl stated, if you can afford to get a modular PSU, I'd greatly, GREATLY suggest it Lol. Especially for the antec 300 case.

The Cable management isn't exactly the best for the case (not much place to tuck the cords out of the way of the airflow). They have a section on the Right side of the drive bays where you can tie some cables down and all, which is great for the few cords you may use. But, check the pic of my own mess of cables in the case:

IMG_1097(smaller).jpg

That's just with the added components of 1 optical drive, 2 Hard drives, and a video card. Now I tweaked things and moved things around a bit to get slightly better cord management and airflow after that pic, but it's still not as nice as I'd personally like haha. I probably could have done better with some forethought, too.

The case is great, but I just wanted to add my own advice and hopefully try to let you know . . . don't get frustrated with the cords and all that stuff like I did when I started wishing I'd gone modular with the PSU :)

I'm excited to hear of your build too, hope everything goes smoothly for you :unsure:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Had occasion to look at your Mobo specifications again and noticed that the 2 SATA cable are listed as optional.

I think you should check this with your supply site to find out if this is correct, if so, you will need to purchase a couple as without them the build will be inoperative.

Josh Wright

Josh Wright

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi.

Had occasion to look at your Mobo specifications again and noticed that the 2 SATA cable are listed as optional.

I think you should check this with your supply site to find out if this is correct, if so, you will need to purchase a couple as without them the build will be inoperative.

I am getting it from Newegg and it seems the Sata cables are included! I'm going to begin buying my parts in the next day or so! Thanks so much for your help everyone! Especially you iammkyle! I may have to stop by if I'm having some trouble putting it together here soon :-)

EDIT: The only thing holding me back now is the case. I'm afraid I won't be able to have good cable management with it. Any link to a modular PSU?

Edited by Josh Wright, 19 September 2011 - 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

This unit Gets top reviews, is fully modular, will do the job nicely.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817151087

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Another choice for the PSU. Very good reviews, not quite as efficient as the first one but will be more than enough to do the job.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371052

HisServant77

HisServant77

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Also, if you're not tied to that particular case, instead of going modular with your PSU (cost), you could perhaps search for a different case that has better cable management. I've seen a few out there that were Very nice :) And might save you a few bucks. Unless you really do want the Antec 300 one :unsure: Modular PSUs are definitely nice and helpful and everything. They just cost! haha

Josh Wright

Josh Wright

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Also, if you're not tied to that particular case, instead of going modular with your PSU (cost), you could perhaps search for a different case that has better cable management. I've seen a few out there that were Very nice :) And might save you a few bucks. Unless you really do want the Antec 300 one :unsure: Modular PSUs are definitely nice and helpful and everything. They just cost! haha

I would much prefer to do that as I am in a tight budget! Could you guys link/suggest any to me in particular? I've found a couple with iffy reviews so I'm having trouble shopping around.

I have my eye on this one: http://www.google.co...ved=0CHMQ8gIwAQ

Edited by Josh Wright, 20 September 2011 - 08:45 AM.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well with that case, you might actually run into the same problem with cord management. It seems it has the same type of management as the Antec 300, with a small box on the right side of the bays to shove all the cords (though it seems to have a bit more room going all the way to the top, so it has slightly better management than the Antec).

Since I only have experience with the one case, I can only personally say I think it'd be better to search for cases that have something like the one below:

Cooler Master Haf 912

The cord management I mean, is something like what you would see in the pictures. I don't think I can show the pictures in the post itself, but if you look at the inside of the case, you can see a large hole toward the bottom near the PSU, and three other holes along the bay areas. This allows you to hide the cords along that side and then just use the holes for where you need them to come out.

The link above also has a video that introduces the case and other things about it. I'd suggest looking at that to see if it is indeed what you'd need/want in terms of other usage. It's not as sleek looking at the case you linked to, but it does have the air-flow that you might be looking for :)

But if that's not what you'd want, it at least does show what to look for in terms of cord management with the holes and such.

And hopefully someone else with more experience with various cases and building can also suggest some others!