Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply

dbmnazgul

dbmnazgul

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi... So I have an external drive connected via USB 2.0. It is an IOGEAR Ion 120GB drive, made into 4 drives; F, G, H, & I. For some reason G/ is no longer being recognized. XP claims it is not formatted and asks if I wish to format it now. Do I have any chance to save the data on G/? Unfortunately for me, it contains the info I care the most for... all of my Protools sessions, about 4 months of work. What steps can I take, if any? This sucks. Coincidentally, this happened during the same time I contracted that d#%& Aurora piece of crap. That seems to be gone now after much struggle, but so is the G/ drive... Please help. Thanks, Dan.

Advertisements

dbmnazgul

dbmnazgul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Wow... doesn't anyone know any way to help me? I'm desperate.

12matthias335

12matthias335

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Have you tried looking into any of those data recovery programs? I'm not an expert on those programs, but it might be a place to start looking into. Have you tried accessing it on safe mode? Other than that I can't think of anything else...

dbmnazgul

dbmnazgul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Can you recomend a recovery program? If I format the disk like it asks, will this lessen or increase the chances of recovery?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you format the partition now, you can more or less kiss good bye to your chances of recovering the data.

Go to this link :
http://www.cgsecurit...l?testdisk.html
and download testdisk for winXP/NT

When you extract it, open the win folder & run the testdisk_win.exe
The instructions I'm about to give you are based on the dos version so they may be slightly different to the XP version.
Whatever you do, don't alter anything.

In testdisk, select the usb drive & select the analyse option. This should give you info on the partitions on that drive, including start & end addresses, file format etc. Copy & paste the info into a text file & attach it to your next post. It should give a better idea of whats going on with your drive (hopefully)

dbmnazgul

dbmnazgul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, attached is the results... I don't understand any of it! I'm way too lo-fi for this...

Attached Files

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, firstly I noticed in the text dump you attached, that the line starting with number 5 appears twice. Please tell me thats a typo on your part!?

Next, can you try the following. Please follow this carefully. If my instructions do not correlate with your version of testdisk & therefore cannot follow them, let me know.

1. Run testdisk
2. Select the options menu, & change the entry [dump] to yes.
3. Go back to main menu & highlight your external drive in the list
4. Select Analyse again - you should see the screen that is in your text dump. Press the quit button. You should now see a screen with columns of hexadecimal numbers
5. Press the Next button to scroll down. Keep pressing it until the screen stops scrolling
6. Look at the last row (should start with the number 01F0). Make a note of the hex numbers in the last column of the last row. (eg 000055AA)
7. Press the quit button again to go to the next partition. Repeat the procedure of scrolling down & noting the last entry. Press quit and repeat for the 3rd & 4th partitions.

Exit testdisk
You should now have 4 sets of numbers.
Let me know what they are.

Supergeek.dcse

Supergeek.dcse

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
winternals have some amasing data recover programs that will recove allmost any thing

dbmnazgul

dbmnazgul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No typos... just cut & paste... should I continue with the directions?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah, it won't do any harm.
I'm concerned about that duplicate entry though, basically it shouldn't be in there.

Advertisements

dbmnazgul

dbmnazgul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, I followed the directions and only received 3 numbers... all three were "000055aa". I attached the last report it gave me as well...

Attached Files

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, thats a bit odd.
Can you download partinfo from this link (NP/XP version) :

http://service1.syma...src=bar_sch_nam

You should just be able to run it without having partition magic etc installed.
Run the partinfo.exe, click on 'copy to clipboard' button, open notepad & paste.
Attach the text file here as usual.

dbmnazgul

dbmnazgul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have tried that link multiple times, and each time it leads me to nothing. Why won't the link work?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Dunno, I've just got it to work, maybe the site was down when you tried?

Are you clicking on the 'PartInNT.zip for windows NT, 2000 or XP' link in that page?

dbmnazgul

dbmnazgul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, yes it must have been down...
Here is the text file... thanks.

Attached Files