External Hard Drive Failure
Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:02 PM
Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:57 PM
Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:00 AM
Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:23 PM
Go to this link :
and download testdisk for winXP/NT
When you extract it, open the win folder & run the testdisk_win.exe
The instructions I'm about to give you are based on the dos version so they may be slightly different to the XP version.
Whatever you do, don't alter anything.
In testdisk, select the usb drive & select the analyse option. This should give you info on the partitions on that drive, including start & end addresses, file format etc. Copy & paste the info into a text file & attach it to your next post. It should give a better idea of whats going on with your drive (hopefully)
Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:09 PM
Posted 05 June 2005 - 03:47 PM
Next, can you try the following. Please follow this carefully. If my instructions do not correlate with your version of testdisk & therefore cannot follow them, let me know.
1. Run testdisk
2. Select the options menu, & change the entry [dump] to yes.
3. Go back to main menu & highlight your external drive in the list
4. Select Analyse again - you should see the screen that is in your text dump. Press the quit button. You should now see a screen with columns of hexadecimal numbers
5. Press the Next button to scroll down. Keep pressing it until the screen stops scrolling
6. Look at the last row (should start with the number 01F0). Make a note of the hex numbers in the last column of the last row. (eg 000055AA)
7. Press the quit button again to go to the next partition. Repeat the procedure of scrolling down & noting the last entry. Press quit and repeat for the 3rd & 4th partitions.
You should now have 4 sets of numbers.
Let me know what they are.
Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:24 PM
Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:30 PM
Posted 05 June 2005 - 09:26 PM
I'm concerned about that duplicate entry though, basically it shouldn't be in there.
Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:33 PM
Posted 06 June 2005 - 04:17 PM
Can you download partinfo from this link (NP/XP version) :
You should just be able to run it without having partition magic etc installed.
Run the partinfo.exe, click on 'copy to clipboard' button, open notepad & paste.
Attach the text file here as usual.
Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:15 PM
Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:18 PM
Are you clicking on the 'PartInNT.zip for windows NT, 2000 or XP' link in that page?
Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:36 PM
Here is the text file... thanks.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users