Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP is corrutpted

• Please log in to reply

Mike Norris

Mike Norris

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

So a friend gave me a computer and it was working fine. It did not have any security software on it whatsoever but I dont have internet so it was ok. I began uninstalling the useless crap and was in the middle of uninstalling a toolbar from add/remove prog and it froze in the middle of the process. I had to hard reboot.

Nothing has worked since.
For a few days i couldnt do anything. it would load and take me to the desktop but i could not load any programs. when i click start then all programs nothing happens. the fold out doesnt fold out. all of the buttons in start except for my computer and my documents. when i click those the computer freezes. the only way i can access them is by rght click then explore.
nothing works. when i go to the control panel (which i have to navigate to after exploring my my documents because if i explore my computer it freezes) only the most basic programs open like volume control. even then when i check the box to put the icon in the tray it unchecks after i reboot.
ive tried everything i could find online. i even tried creating a new partition and tried to install ubuntu but my computer is pitiful. (you can see by my specs)
honestly i would love a linux system in place of windows so i wouldnt have to experience anything like this agin (at least i think thats the case)

please help
i wanna cry :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if your specs are correct here is part of your issue

256 ram

Suggested amount of memory for a XP system is 1 gig to run everything.

Second problem I see is:

C: 3.82gb

This is hardly enough to install the XP alone.
At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk

These two issues alone would cause the system to not act correctly.
Now you don't mention what the actual free space that is left on the C partition but at best with nothing else loaded would be 2.3 gigs.
I believe most of your issue is due to the lack of free memory since XP needs at minimum 128 megs to itself with 256 being the suggested amount. That leaves nothing for anything else to run.
Lets try a experiment and see how it works. Below I am including the instructions for making a Linux Live cd using Puppy Linux. This would boot completely into memory without the hard drive being used. If it works then you should be able to format the drive using the disk and install just Linux on your system. With that low of memory and hd space I would suggest Linux anyway since it is not so dependent on all the variables I listed above.
Just a question but what is on that other partition marked as Q?

Mike Norris

Mike Norris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
nothing is on the partition
i just created it yesterday
i was going to install ubuntu but there wasnt enough memoery and what not
i shrunk the c: as small as i could to try and give ubuntu the space it needed to install
i didnt learn until after several failed attempts to install that my comuter is too puny

i just finished downloading an iso for linux mint
should i install the puppy instead??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It doesn't matter what Linux you install as there are lots of Distro versions out there to choose from. I would suggest however to delete all the partitions and give Linux all the space. It should then be able to work on your system.
Upgrading the memory and the hard drive would be advisable to make your system more stable and give you a lot more room to work.
Is this a laptop or a desktop?
Name brand and if so what brand, make and model?
I can then do a little research on the upgrades you can make on it. :)

Mike Norris

Mike Norris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah that would be great.
I have a dell gx150 desktop

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Very limited upgrade on Memory with a maximum amount of 512 megs. You can buy 2x256 megs sticks HERE for 18.99 plus 99 cents shipping each for a total cost of about 40 USD.

OptiPlex GX150 600 Memory Specifications
Standard Memory 128 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory 512 MB

Memory Expansion 2 sockets
Memory Comments PC133 SDRAM DIMMs. PC133 memory modules are installed on all systems - the memory clock operates at 100MHz for Intel Celeron processors
CPU Type 600MHz Intel Celeron
Model Comments 133MHz FSB, Intel 815E Chipset

The hard drive itself is a IDE\PATA 3.5 inch drive. Looks like you could put up to a 180 gig hard drive in it. Take a look HERE at a 160 gig hard drive. Since you are going to Linux it will have no problem with this drive.

Mike Norris

Mike Norris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Awesome thanks :)

Also,
All those software links you have in your sig, are, they linux mint compatible?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No if you let me know what software you are interested in I can advise you on links to get them and if they are compatible with Linux.

Mike Norris

Mike Norris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok
Well since I got you maybe you can help install this linux mint im having issues.
I used the universal usb installer to load it on my 8g pendrive buy when I reboot and try to start it I get an instant error message:

Invalid or corrupt kernel image
boot_ (underscore flashes)

What did I do wrong?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to reboot it. Sometimes that error appears on the first try or two.

Mike Norris

Mike Norris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah i did
i figured there was a problem with the install so i formatted and reinstalled
same problem

Mike Norris

Mike Norris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
p.s.
out of those programs can any of them help me fix my windows os in any way??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions