Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell xp 400 crash

• Please log in to reply

dam1120

dam1120

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Tonight my computer crashed. When it comes up it says "Windows can not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. \windows\system32\config\system ." What can i do to get it running again. It is a dell xp 400.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
your registry is corrupted.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

SRX660

dam1120

dam1120

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

your registry is corrupted.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

SRX660

Hi it tells me to do what I cant like create temp folder:
how do I create a temp folder when I cant get in? In part one, you start the Recovery Console, create a temporary folder, back up the existing registry files to a new location, delete the registry files at their existing location, and then copy the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder. When you have finished this procedure, a registry is created that you can use to start Windows XP. This registry was created and saved during the initial setup of Windows XP. Therefore any changes and settings that occurred after the Setup program was finished are lost.

and to boot from disc:
Here lies the problem....I have several discs and have no clue which to use so I put each one in and F12 and or F2 and they did not allow me to go in..one I believe brought me to the screen where I can change the date and modify other areas listed on left side but when I tried to back date to a previous date nothing happened so that was a bust.
Thanks