Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Media test failure, check cable'

• Please log in to reply

BrettArchey

BrettArchey

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite l455d-s5976, with Windows 7 32-bit on it. I recently had to replace the screen because it broke.

Nothing was wrong when I first installed it.
It booted up, went to my desktop, and everything looked fine, so i turned it off.
A little bit later i went back to use it, and the Toshiba screen came up, and then it would go to the Windows loading screen, and would just stay there for a bit, and restart. I had no idea why it was doing this, so I went to reset my computer to out of the box state, well apparentally my computer didn't like that because the screen where you select to reset it to out of the box state wasn't showing up, it would just show a mouse cursor, and a black screen, i know it wasn't frozen because i could move the cursor. I restart my computer, and now it's saying "Media test failure, check cable" At this point I just don't know what to do...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
Hi BrettArchey
If you are able to get into the BIOS check that the boot order is set to CD/DVD drive first, HDD second, USB ports third, network fourth etc, if you are not able to get into the BIOS try removing the MBs CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, if you get your screen back you will then need to re-enter the BIOS, reset the time and date, save and exit (F10) and then Y to accept the new changes.
This error can also be caused by a failed HDD but hopefully that is not the cause here, have you tried connecting the display to an external screen (press the Fn and F5 keys together to toggle between screens) if so same result?

BrettArchey

BrettArchey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi BrettArchey
If you are able to get into the BIOS check that the boot order is set to CD/DVD drive first, HDD second, USB ports third, network fourth etc, if you are not able to get into the BIOS try removing the MBs CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, if you get your screen back you will then need to re-enter the BIOS, reset the time and date, save and exit (F10) and then Y to accept the new changes.
This error can also be caused by a failed HDD but hopefully that is not the cause here, have you tried connecting the display to an external screen (press the Fn and F5 keys together to toggle between screens) if so same result?

Yes, I can get into the BIOS.
I will try and put it in that order, do you think that the new screen could be causing this? I'll try and plug in an external screen, see if that gives some results.

I'll post here again once i try the external screen.

BrettArchey

BrettArchey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright, so I changed the order of the boot, and that did nothing, then I tried an external screen, but that yielded no results. =\

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts

do you think that the new screen could be causing this?

Always a possibility but less likely as you are getting a BIOS screen, can you try booting into safe mode with networking and download the video chip driver from http://www.csd.toshi...mily=1073768663
Also do you have the OS or restore disk/s that may have been provided with the computer or is there a recovery partition on the HDD?

BrettArchey

BrettArchey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Always a possibility but less likely as you are getting a BIOS screen, can you try booting into safe mode with networking and download the video chip driver from http://www.csd.toshi...mily=1073768663
Also do you have the OS or restore disk/s that may have been provided with the computer or is there a recovery partition on the HDD?

How do I boot into safe mode? and there is recovery partition on the HDD, but whenever I try to use it, it will just load up a black screen, with a mouse cursor that I can move, that's about it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts

How do I boot into safe mode? and there is recovery partition on the HDD, but whenever I try to use it, it will just load up a black screen, with a mouse cursor that I can move, that's about it.

Installing the video driver may resolve this.
Booting into safe mode;
If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

BrettArchey

BrettArchey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Installing the video driver may resolve this.
Booting into safe mode;
If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

My computer won't even get to the windows logo, it just has the Toshiba screen, then goes straight to it saying "media test failure, check cable" over and over.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
Try removing and replacing the HDD in case the contacts were disturbed when the screen was replaced, if this does not resolve the issue then I suggest you try Puppy Linux to determine if the OS has become corrupt or the HDD has failed;
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

NB: Just a thought, have you tried tapping the 0 (zero) key when powering up as opposed to F8.

BrettArchey

BrettArchey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Try removing and replacing the HDD in case the contacts were disturbed when the screen was replaced, if this does not resolve the issue then I suggest you try Puppy Linux to determine if the OS has become corrupt or the HDD has failed;
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

NB: Just a thought, have you tried tapping the 0 (zero) key when powering up as opposed to F8.

Well tapping the 0 key is how i access the recovery partion in the HDD, and that just brings up a black screen with a mouse cursor i can move as well.

I'll run that program to see what's up.

BrettArchey

BrettArchey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Downloading puppy linux right now... luckily i found some burnable disks, I thought I was out. :)

BrettArchey

BrettArchey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey man, if this would be easier for you to just go on an im, and be able to talk back and forth real time I don't mind, i have skype, and yahoo.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts

Hey man, if this would be easier for you to just go on an im, and be able to talk back and forth real time I don't mind, i have skype, and yahoo.

Hi BrettArchey
Assistance is only offered on the forums for various reasons, knowledge is shared and learned, other members and Staff may see something that the person who is assisting hasn`t and we are all only human and can make a mistake or forget something, basically the GTG policy helps to safeguard us all :)

BrettArchey

BrettArchey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright, that's no problem.
It turns out that my desktops cd thing is messed up, and won't read disks, so I can't burn that linux puppy thing....