Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore factory default settings w/o access to Acer eRecovery

• Please log in to reply

ristretto6

ristretto6

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an Acer Aspire One D250 Netbook, and had a really bad crash this weekend. I never made the factory restore discs when I first got this computer, because it doesn't have a CD drive and it never seemed worth it to me to shell out the money for an external burner. Until, of course, now that I need to do a factory restore and can't!

The virus or whatever has corrupted my computer has it so bad that, even though I just today went and purchased a DVD burner, the computer won't stay on long enough to allow me to create the recovery disks before crashing (~20 seconds after Windows starts, every time). So I need to find another way to create or obtain the factory restore discs for this computer.

Are there any options besides purchasing them from Acer for the $20? I've seen torrents for this make/model's recovery discs as I've been poking around, but have no idea how I would turn those into a recovery CD after downloading them...

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried hitting the alt and the F10 keys at the same time? This is what i used to restore a virus laden Acer aspireone netbook back to factory settings. Someone gave this netbook to me with it only showing a System menu on the screen. the guy who brought it to me said a virus crashed it to where it booted to the system screen.

Otherwise, like any computer, you will need to set the BIOS to boot from a external dvd player(source) and use a microsoft DVD to reinstall windows, and then download the drivers from the acer website.

SRX660

ristretto6

ristretto6

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hmm, nothing happens when I do Alt + F10 at the same time. Given that I'd have to purchase a new copy of the Windows software anyway to try your above solution, am I right to think that it would just be cheaper to order the $19.95 factory restore disk from Acer instead? (I guess what I'm asking is, is there anywhere online where I can get/create a free copy of this factory restore disc)?

Thanks!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, i would get the restore CD. It looks like someone wiped the restore partition on your Aspire one. My D260 had the separate restore partition on it so i used it. I personally use Acronis to image my drives so when i restore them all added software and files are there in the OS.

You should watch this video.

SRX660