Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MBR problems in WIN XP Home, following previous post

• Please log in to reply

paperclip013

paperclip013

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi!

I already posted about problems with XP after BSOD and not being able to access safe mode, being stuck in "setup is being restarted" after using the system repair.

I ran several chkdsk and the first time the msg was "chkdsk found one or more errors and fixed them" followed by parameters of allocations. The second and third chkdsk didn't show any problems fixed and same parameters.

I typed "fixMBR" to see what it woud say and got the following info:

The computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid MBR

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you procede

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible

If you are not havingproblems accessing your drive, do not continue.

Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?

I exited because I have no idea what to do.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reply given in your other topic to backup data first using Puppy Linux live cd. This will at least ensure you don't lose your important data through all this.
Also no need to start a new topic dealing with the same system and just a extension of the original problem.