It immediately told me that I had only 494mb of memory, but needed 512mb to run XP. It has 2x256mb of PC3200, but some is shared with video. It only has room for two cards. I dug out an even older computer and found it had a 1024mb PC2700 in it. I swapped the 1024mb for one of the 256mb. The computer now tells me it has 1148mb of memory, and is much faster.
So all seems well. But I have some questions.
1) Is it okay to mix 2700 and 3200?
2) If the original is 3200, is 2700 okay? (emachine says that it will take 2100/2700/3200)
3) Would I see any improvement changing the 2700 with 3200?
4) Does it matter that I am pairing a 256 with a 1024?
5) Would I see an improvement replacing the 256 with a 1024?
I don't know if stuff this old is even available, but I bet its cheap.