Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting duplicate Livemail accounts

• Please log in to reply

shimakaze

shimakaze

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
In trying to set up an e-mail account for my elderly mother yesterday, I seem to have created 2 duplicate sets of Livemail folders (for a total of 3 altogether. This is of course unhelpfully confusing for her. How can I delete the duplicate accounts please?

Edit: sorry, I should have said that the computer is a Dell N5030 running 64-bit Windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by shimakaze, 21 September 2011 - 08:59 AM.

Advertisements

shimakaze

shimakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Anyone?

Have I:

a. committed a dreadful offence by asking a common question answered elsewhere; or
b. run into a problem which genuinely is beyond the wit of man to solve?

Please don't be afraid to say either way.

Thanks in hopeful anticipation.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi shimakaze,

committed a dreadful offence by asking a common question answered elsewhere

We are all volunteers here. (yes! believe it or not we do this for free)

If you have posted elsewhere and your question has been answered I'd like to thank you for letting us know so we can now focus our attention on others who need our help.

Again thank you!

Have a nice day!

Donna :)

shimakaze

shimakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you, Donna, for your reply.

No, this is the only place I have posted my question: it is my help site of first resort, because last time I ran into problems with my computer, I received a swift, understandable and helpful response from the experts here. If I find a solution to the issue, I shall certainly be delighted to post my findings here for the benefit of all but I am not making any progress at the moment. I do not even know where this issue falls on the scale from "unspeakably trivial" to "question which has baffled mankind throughout the centuries": I suspect it ought to be the former but for me at the moment, until it's solved, it's the latter.

My thanks, appreciation and admiration to the volunteers who provide their time and expertise for free on this site.

Edited by shimakaze, 23 September 2011 - 03:17 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome shimakaze,

I, for one, did take a look at your situation just after you had posted. Here at GTG members will not advise if they have not found the answer that will help to prevent from causing further issues. There may be that one needle in the haystack that knows the answer off the top of their head but for that person to post, they have to see this thread.

I have Windows Mail (Vista) and am not familiar with Windows Live Mail which I believe is the successor to Windows Mail when Win7 was introduced. I'm not sure how closely related they are. But I'll look further into this for you. Unfortunately, real life gets in the way to what we volunteers like to do best...help those in need.

What I found was to open WLM and click on Tools in the Menu bar at the top then choose Accounts to delete duplicates. I did not post that info. to prevent from posting the wrong info. You can try this and let me know what you find. Till then I will search to see if I can find the solution we need.

Others may respond who are more experienced than I.

Donna

Edited by DonnaB, 23 September 2011 - 05:51 AM.

shimakaze

shimakaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Think I have now cracked this problem: as usual, once you know, it's fatuously easy. The following is based on my experience. It's worked for me - so far! That's all I claim.

For each account created, Livemail generates a folder labelled first with the ISP, then the e-mail address and then, if both of those are duplicated, a numerical suffix eg (1), (2), etc. Within each folder there will be subfolders for Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Junk Email and Deleted Items.

To delete any of these duplicate folders, simply right-click on the folder name and then select "Remove account". Job done! Be careful that you are not deleting your default account. If you are, designate whatever account you wish to be your new default by right-clicking on it and checking "Set as default account".

Donna: I didn't find that what you proposed (Tools > Accounts)enabled me to do what I wanted to do but engaging with you evidently did jog a couple of my braincells into brief activity. Thank you for your patience and time.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi shimakaze,

That's wonderful to hear! :unsure:

I can't thank you enough for posting your findings. This may help many who find themselves in this situation.

Still, with directions you gave me above, I can not find a link that explains this as you have above.

This thread has been bookmarked for future use!

:)

Don654

Don654

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everybody,

just want to ask you for an idea. There were created 8 duplicates e-mail accounts in my WLM (W7x64bit), I removed them but after one day another one duplicate e-mail account appeared. Unfortunately I have no clue how is that possible.

Any ideas?

Thank you