Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

P2P (crosscable) ethernet lan help

• Please log in to reply

antiflag

antiflag

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i have a dell with built in ethernet controller and a gateway with a built in ethernet controller. i have a cat4 ethernet cord (cat 4 ithink).im runing XP on both pc's.i cant get them to network with each other.iv went to control panel and done home or small buisness network wizard but it does not connect. what do i do??? :tazz: if some 1 can give me a step by step guide (hold my hand) Thanx !

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
you need arouter if you don't have a router you need a crossover cable to just connect them with a single cord. Any crossover will do i reccomend getting a router.

antiflag

antiflag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ah so i got the rong cable..thanx. what would be the cheapest way to go crossover or router?i only have 2 computers to network but i mite ad more later..if anyone knows the cheapest routers name and cheapest crossover cable name tell me ! thanx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the crossover CAT5 cable is the cheapest route, though it will only work to connect 2 pc's together. the router is a better long term solution, especially if you will be adding more machines at some point.

are you using broadband internet at all? if so, get a router. connect the broadband to the router, then each pc to the hub in the router. that way both machines access the net, and are networked together.

if you just want to network 2 or more pc's together, a simple hub will do the job.