Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt HDD, data recovery options?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ImpactUK

ImpactUK

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
After a partition went wrong on my HDD I couldn't run into Windows 7 as the MBR got destroyed. I've used GParted to try and get access to my files, but i cannot get access to the files as it's also saying that there are corrupt sectors on the drive. I've ran TestDisk and I can see all of my files, but for some reason I can't copy the files to the external hard drive I have, but only to somewhere on the local (damaged) drive. I'm not bothered about saving the drive or the Windows installation, all I want is most of the files off the hard drive. How can I go about doing this? What program can I use so I can copy the files from the damaged drive to an external drive? If possible I want to be able to pick out individual files myself, rather than clone the drive
Many thanks!

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hello,
After a partition went wrong on my HDD I couldn't run into Windows 7 as the MBR got destroyed. I've used GParted to try and get access to my files, but i cannot get access to the files as it's also saying that there are corrupt sectors on the drive. I've ran TestDisk and I can see all of my files, but for some reason I can't copy the files to the external hard drive I have, but only to somewhere on the local (damaged) drive. I'm not bothered about saving the drive or the Windows installation, all I want is most of the files off the hard drive. How can I go about doing this? What program can I use so I can copy the files from the damaged drive to an external drive? If possible I want to be able to pick out individual files myself, rather than clone the drive
Many thanks!

you might want to try this its been very helpful to me numerous of times.

data recovery

any questions let me know..

you can download riplinux HERE

ImpactUK

ImpactUK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Awesome, thanks man!
I'll give it a shot when i'm back at home

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Awesome, thanks man!
I'll give it a shot when i'm back at home

any success?

timpane

timpane

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If you are looking for the recovery of corrupted data from the Windows partition you can opt Stellar Windows data recovery software. It is an effective tool to restore corrupt or damaged data in Windows.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

If you are looking for the recovery of corrupted data from the Windows partition you can opt Stellar Windows data recovery software. It is an effective tool to restore corrupt or damaged data in Windows.

why pay for a program when there are free programs that do the same thing!

timpane

timpane

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have use one of the free program but it corrupted my system and i have faced data loss situation.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
For data recovery use Puppy Linux

It runs from the CD so you do not need access to the OS.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

For data recovery use Puppy Linux

It runs from the CD so you do not need access to the OS.

any linux will work! i use riplinux see post #2