Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP explorer becomes out of focus

• Please log in to reply

Sharful

Sharful

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am facing this problem on my 2 years old "Dell Optiplex 380" Windows XP PC for the last 2 months. Windows loads okay. But when I double-click on "My Computer" it opens and then goes out of focus. I cannot click on anything, not even close the windows explorer. But when I press ALT+TAB I can use the windows explorer using the keyboard. Then If I click again, Windows Explorer goes out of focus.
Terrible problem. Please help.
Thanking you.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi and welcome to GeeksToGo, sorry to hear of the problem with your "My Computer"
have you run the Windows Protected File Scanner yet?
You may have important windows files that are missing, damaged or in the wrong place:

1 Click On Start
2 Click on Run
3 type in the white Box
sfc /scannow
note the space twix "c" and "/" it needs to be there
4 Click on OK
The System File Checker should start to run....it will take about 20 minutes or so on most systems...don't use your machine whilst its running
If it finds missing or damaged files it will try and repair them or substitute known good copies from within your machine, but if it can't find them then it will ask you to insert your Windows XP installation disc, so have it handy.
The scanner is automatic and you won't be offered an output log file
See if procedure this helps with the problem.
Regards
paws