Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting too many Board Messages

• Please log in to reply

beep9362

beep9362

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
In the last few days, while trying to read my lessons through my tabs in Firefox 3.6.17, I get error messages like:
We could not determine which forum this topic is in.
I am logged in but pages do not show the requested page (like OTL tutorial, etc)
I did not have this problem before and I cannot find an answer to this in the help sections. I have not changed anything on my computer and my AntiMalware is constantly updating.
any help, suggestion is appreciated

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi beep9362,

I have gotten and continue to get the message you describe. In these cases I think it's because the link has an address that is no longer valid. But I've never gotten that type of message when I directly click on a forum or a topic in a forum. I have had FireFox throw a timed out error in some of those cases and that is usually due to SuperAdmin working on the site. But I haven't had that happen in a while. Maybe try going to the bottom of any page and click "Delete my Cookies" will reset things.
By the way, the most recent version of FireFox 3.6 is 3.6.22. I installed 4.0 when it was released but it had soooo many problems that I went back to 3.6 and as long as FireFox continues to update that version that's the one I will continue to use until they get the bugs worked out of the new versions.
Hope this helps

godawgs

beep9362

beep9362

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
thanks godawgs for your answer.
I did clean the cookies, but no difference. I have to go through the steps of starting at the main page, my bookmarks don't work. I'll keep an eye on this and will try to figure out. I don't think the lessons change and they are all still available on the same pages.
It is frustrating to get error messages and sometimes have to sign in new, even so I am signed in on another tab.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Some of the sections of GeekU were changed recently - if you're using old bookmarks, that may be why they're not working. If you go directly to the links through GeekU, rather than through your bookmarks, do they work?

beep9362

beep9362

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
I checked going through the main page to my links, sari, yes they do go there but I still seem to have to login at many pages, while not at others. This does not make any sense to me, I will re-bookmark what I need and see if after deleting everything present, will work again with new entries.
I will also re-enter in FF the saved passwords and will let you know how that works. thanks