Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezes going into Standby XP

• Please log in to reply

cosbysco

cosbysco

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: My computer starts to go into standby and it freezes before it goes into standby. You have to shut down computer by the power button. Control=Alt=Delete won't work. I'm running Windows XP home edition. Thank you for any assistance with this issue.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it set to go to Standby or doing it randomly

Edited by Keith, 31 May 2005 - 11:02 PM.

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
Check your running processes before it goes into standby, because my friend had it too and his pc was infected with hundreds of Trojans, all trying to go into standby. It smashed the harddisk when it failed on going to Standby mode. See yourself a lucky man when you scan your pc for Trojans by the recommended programs and your pc is infected with hundreds of stuff. Cuz those who try to go into standby usually get stabbed in the back when all those running Trojans want to go into Standby.

cosbysco

cosbysco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Keith it is set to go into standby. I have run Adware and Spybot-Search & Destroy and cleared out the 13 objects detected, but still does it after computer has set idle for the 30-minutes 9the time set to go into standby.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft say you have:

Nero 5 - 5.5

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;331506

A 3D screensaver

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;308467

This is for hibernation but could apply

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;822827

They have lots on hanging when returning from Standby

cosbysco

cosbysco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't have a NERO CD Burner and none of the others corrected or pertained to my partcular problem. I went in and disabled the standby, placing to never standby, and when I returned it was frooze saying it was preparing to hibernate. I don't know what's up. I now have the hibernate disabled. is that good or bad, bad yeah?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I never use hibernate, it has never been enabled

Microsoft only have plenty on the problem when returning from standby

cosbysco

cosbysco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay Keith I'll watch it over the next few days and see what happenings, it hasn't frozen up, but when I came by earlier today after being gone for a couple hours and my screensaver was not activated. It's set to go on after 20 minutes.

jazbinder321

jazbinder321

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My computer continues to shutdown and go into standby mode by itself, especially when i'm on the internet or anything which uses the internet. Before my computer goes into standby mode it freezes and then shuts down.

Please help me with the problem, thank you.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please start your own thread

cosbysco

cosbysco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am sorry I haven't responded. I turned off standby and hibernate, now it freezes up when you try to shut down the computer . It says "Windows preparing to shutdown"