Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display is not working

• Please log in to reply

Kindprism

Kindprism

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I hosted a garage sell recently and had lots of people donate. A tech guy showed up and dropped off a computer. I have been looking at the inside of it and it seems fairly nice. Not that new but still nice. Uses DDR2 and AM2/AM+ and such.

There is no videocard in it right now. Did not come with one. However I looked up the motherboard and it had integrated graphics. So I plugged the monitor cable into the motherboard graphics slot and everything else up and turned it on. Everyone worked except the monitor would not show any input. I tried different monitor. Different cable. Nothing works. Any idea on why?

Motherboard http://xfxforce.com/...howLearnMore=1.

Thank you very much for the help.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Any idea on why?

I'd say you just found out why the computer was donated.

Everyone worked except the monitor would not show any input.

Assuming you meant everything (not one) worked, how do you know? If you are going by fans and drive motors spinning, that just means the power supply (PSU) is putting out 12V, it does not prove the PSU is also cranking out the necessary +3.3V or the +5V. So if me, I would verify the PSU works by swapping in a suitable spare PSU before investing any more time, or money.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Kindprism
You started another thread two days ago, asking for advice on a new computer build.
I posted that advice the same day.
Would you kindly respond to that thread when you get chance.
This is the link to the thread
http://www.geekstogo...computer-build/

You also started another thread, yesterday the 25 Sept
This is the link
http://www.geekstogo...computer-build/

in which you say

(this is not a repeat post. I reviewed my computers parts and decided to make a new build. I am however going to copy and post the info I gave about what I want. Feel free to delete my others posts. Sorry about that)

There was no need to start that second thread, because the question is the same, you have simply changed some of the parts.

In summary please respond to the first thread you started asking for advice on the new build.
Thank you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 September 2011 - 01:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Duplicates threads taken care of so just new system build and this topic left. :)

Applez

Applez

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I had this same issue about a week ago.

My monitor wasn't "working" because my motherboard wasn't booting up. Check to make sure when you restart your computer than your motherboard is booting, it'll make a beeping sound. If it doesn't, your motherboard may be bad. I say may because when I had the issue, it ended up being the power supply. Lights would light up, fans would spin, drives would make drive-y sounds but still no motherboard. I switched supplies with my spare computer and everything seems to work just fine now.

Kindprism

Kindprism

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I had a feeling that that was the reason he gave it to me. I am going to try putting a PCI video card in it sometime in the future and see if that might fix it. Thanks for the help everyone. I might also try putting in a new PW to see if that might be the problem. It is helpful to have spare parts laying around.

Once again thanks for the help.