Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need to find the files I uninstalled

• Please log in to reply

AcmeChef

AcmeChef

• Pip
  • 1 posts
In my haste to install a newer version of ValuSoft's MasterCook 11, I uninstalled MasterCook 9 with 5 year's worth of my menu and recipe files. Can I recover them?
Acme Chef

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If you saved your menu & recipe files in the 'My Documents' folder (the repository for all user-created files regardless of which program they were created with)they should still be there regardless of what software you uninstall.

However, if you saved them in the Mastercook program folder they may have been overwritten by the new version. That's why the 'My Documents' folder should always be used for saving your documents.

If you've already checked or searched for them (including the Recycle Bin) and they are nowhere to be found, it's just possible they may still be at least partially intact, but Windows has just marked the space they occupied as available for new files. This effectively makes the files invisible. In such cases, recovery software may be able to get them back. There's a roundup of free ones here: http://free-backup.i...ry-software.htm

Be aware that recovery software can't guarantee to retrieve all files fully intact. Some or all of them may be damaged, partially overwritten, or the filenames may not be complete. It depends how much data has been written to the space they once occupied.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 26 September 2011 - 02:12 PM.