Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop keyboard issue!

• Please log in to reply

Dave_Shrimper

Dave_Shrimper

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys, i have in my possesion 1 laptop that has had liquid spilled over it. The laptop has been dried and works, except the keyboard does not. As far as i have tested, the network on/off key works, and this is the only key that does its right job. the rest, 99% dont work, and 1 or 2 press a random letter, and gets stuck. I assume, this needs a replacement keyboard. Just wanted your 2 cents before i go ahead and order one, i have not taken anything apart yet or tried cleaning it.

THANKS!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If me, I would connect an external keyboard and see how it works.

Dave_Shrimper

Dave_Shrimper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The external keyboard i plug in to usb works perfectly.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, that suggests the keyboard buffer is working properly. So a new notebook keyboard may work. But a professional cleaning of the current keyboard may work too.

You said "liquid" spilled on it. What was the liquid? If plain water, I think I would replace the keyboard. If something other than water, I might try a professional cleaning first.

Are you sure it had time to thoroughly dry out?

Bill Tang

Bill Tang

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've had the same experience... a friend at a party insisted to check his email and spilled his glass of wine on my computer. I unplugged the power, took the battery out right away. Then two hours later took the computer apart and washed everything except the CD player in a tub of warm water.
I let them dry for two days in front of a fan and put back together, everything still work now 5 years later :)
Only thing I've done to keep them running is cleaning the heatsink and put a drop of oil in the fan bearing once every two years.
The rubber mat under the keyboard is hard to dry unless taken apart.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is actually bad to oil fan bearings. These are "sealed" bearings that use permanent grease for lubrication. Oil, also a petroleum distillate, if it gets past the seals, will break down the grease and it's protective values. So the best thing is to just keep the interior of the case clean of dust (as best you can - not always easy with notebook).