Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get into bios without resetting CMOS

• Please log in to reply

Yellohfelloh

Yellohfelloh

• Pip
  • 9 posts
The only way I can get into BIOS is if I Reset the CMOS jumper pin. Then once it's reset and I restart the computer, I can get into Bios. But if I shut down the computer and try to get in again I can't (unless I reset the jumper pin for CMOS). This is a pain because when I get a faulty shutdown (bsod, error) I cannot select between safemode or normal mode because my keyboard is unresponsive in POST.

I've enabled the legacy for usb keyboard and mouse, that was in the default setting already, but it still doesn't work.

Edited by Yellohfelloh, 29 September 2011 - 10:37 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sadly, you told use absolutely nothing about your computer/motherboard. So we have no way of telling what you are doing, or if you are doing it right.

Yellohfelloh

Yellohfelloh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ah! Sorry, I posted my specs in another thread for another computer related issue in this forum. Forgot to do it in this one! My apologies.

Case - Cooler Master HAF932
PSU - Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K Processor 3.3GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155
Heatsink - Noctua 6 NH-D14
Motherboard - Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboard GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC
Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
SSD - OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3
DVD - Lite-On 24X SATA DVD+/-RW

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No problem. Thanks.

So according to your manual, and as typical with most Gigabyte boards, you access the BIOS Setup Menu by pressing the Delete key when prompted during the early stages of the boot process. What happens when you do that? If nothing, are you using a wireless keyboard? You might try a standard wired (preferably PS/2) keyboard.

Each time you do access, are you selecting "Save and Exit"?

Are you sure the jumper is returned to the correct position after the reset? That is, with no pins shorted?

Have you replaced the battery?

Yellohfelloh

Yellohfelloh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So I'll start from the beginning for you.

The computer is newly built. The screen pops up, I am able to press delete to get into the bios and change my settings. Computer starts up in windows and I fiddle around. I then shut down the computer. Screen pops up for me and I want to get into the bios, I press delete a lot but nothing happens and it goes straight to starting up windows. I reset the cmos, start up the computer and can get into the bios by pressing delete. I shut it up, start it back up, press delete and it won't go into the bios.

So what I'm trying to say is that I MUST reset the cmos if I want to get into the bios if I've already shut down my computer or have restarted it. I am using a wired USB keyboard. I will try a PS/2 keyboard and will replace the battery when I wake up and let you know if that works.

Also the motherboard already has the USB legacy enabled.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

So I'll start from the beginning for you.

Always a good idea since we are not mind readers here! :)

I then shut down the computer
I shut it up

Can I assume that you are going through the Start menu to "gracefully" exit Windows and power down the computer? And I ask again, when you exit the BIOS Setup Menu, are you selecting "Save and Exit"?

If this is a new motherboard, I doubt the battery is bad - though a new battery being bad is not unheard of.

The computer is newly built.

Did it ever work right?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Digerati.

Did it ever work right?

Prior problems for this build can be found here. http://www.geekstogo...20#entry2066420

Edited by iammykyl, 01 October 2011 - 07:11 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
From other post:

Hey man I'm on step 1 of http://thessdreview....zation-guide-2/

My computer will not boot when I go into ACHI.

Is it because I installed the OS when it was on IDE and then I switched to ACHI?

Did you notice on that page in GREAT BIG LETTERS!!! before step one,

READER ALERT!!!

There is no need to Optimize Win7 or your SSD whatsoever for it to function correctly. The reader retains sole responsibility in their following of this thread and The SSD Review and its authors shall not be deemed liable for any damage that may occur to the readers computer or its hardware in following this thread.