Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After reformatting still infected

• Please log in to reply

skoop

skoop

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What happened-
For the first time in my experience, I haven't been able to fix a virus on a computer by reformatting. I bought the laptop for my mother about 1 year ago and my brother recently borrowed it. He apparently decided to download torrents which were carrying viruses so he had a friend of his reformat the computer for him(the 1st reformat for this computer). He continued to misuse it in the same way, and we were continuing to experience viruses on the machine which made me assume that it needed to be reformatted again. So I did(2nd reformat). Three reformats later, I now have full control of the computer(it isn't being borrowed anymore) and can say that even after reformatting, the symptoms of the computer somehow are reinstalling themselves along with the operating system?

The Symptoms-
The computer always reformats with a redirecting virus for all search engine websites. Any link on Google, for instance, takes you to a download link which, if unintentionally downloaded, installs a virus called "Open Cloud Security". Open Cloud Security is currently not the issue, however, since I have reformatted the computer and have not used any search engines since doing so. Recently the computer has had internet connectivity issues which I have not been able to explain. The internet was running unbelievably slow through the same router that another computer in the house is running perfectly fine through. This resolved for no apparent reason after 2 hours of struggling with it though.

The laptop-
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834115796
That is the newegg.com link to the laptop which contains system specs. This is my first time dealing with a factory made computer, since I have been making them since I was a kid, so there may be something I'm doing wrong with it. The computer has a list of programs it installs by default when it reformats which I can't help but feel may be the source of the problem.

Everything Else
All reformats are done through the computer's built in interface and are, from what I understand, fully wiping the partition.
I'm truly at a loss here about what to do.
I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
If any other information is required please let me know. :)
edit: sorry about not including the log, I'll do that as soon as I'm back on.

Edited by skoop, 30 September 2011 - 06:28 PM.

Advertisements