Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I keep randomly losing wireless network connection on my laptop

• Please log in to reply

AHerrera620

AHerrera620

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys, my name's Adrian. I'd like to thank you in advance for your help.

I have a really frustrating issue going on. I just got a new laptop, an acer. It's great except for the fact that I'm randomly losing the wireless network. Sometimes I go hours with no problems, other times I lose connection multiple times in a minute. The worst part is that at some point it goes away permanently and I need to reboot. I'll either A. be unable to detect my home network anymore, despite being able to detect other networks in my area, or B. be able to detect my network but be unable to connect to it. Something else I've noticed is that the location keeps changing from 'private' to 'public'

I've disabled my firewalls and security features, those don't seem to be what's interfering. There's a program installed called broadcom gigabit netlink controller that I think may have something to do with it but I don't want to remove it. Also, my roommate never loses connection on our network.

I've researched this issue and seen plenty of posts similar but none of them seem to fix my issue so again, I thank you in advance for helping me.

EDIT:

Here are my specs

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Acer Aspire 5733
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version V1.02
Intel Core i3
4096MB Ram
Atheros AR5B95 Wireless Network Adapter
Broadcom NetLink Ethernet

Edit:

I have also checked the power settings of both the network adapter and ethernet adapter and disabled the setting to turn them off to save power.

Edited by AHerrera620, 30 September 2011 - 04:48 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi AHerrera620 and :) sorry to hear that you are having issues with your new laptop and for your wait before being offered assistance, have you checked your Network Adapter properties in the Device Manager, any yellow ! or red X there, have you ensured that the wireless switch is fully in the on position and have you tried connecting to a wireless connection away from where you are, at school, work or an internet cafe for example!
As the laptop is new you need to be careful what you do to prevent voiding your warranty, you can however try downloading and saving the drivers somewhere safe that you will remember, uninstall the present drivers then install the previously saved drivers which are available @
http://support.acer....=1&modelId=3679
If this does not resolve the issue consider returning with the laptop to the place of purchase and demonstrate the issue to them so that they can check the wireless adapter itself is both good and securely in place.

EDIT: Link replaced.

Edited by phillpower2, 04 October 2011 - 04:22 PM.

AHerrera620

AHerrera620

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No worries about the delay.

Alright so checking network adapter properties there is nothing of interest. My laptop does not have a switch for wi-fi, that's one of the first things I checked, guess I should have said that.

I reinstalled my drivers, although the site you referred me to did not have them for windows 7 64-bit , which I'm running. I googled the drivers and found them here http://www.wireless-...vers-ver800196/

Upon installing them, so far so good. I'm able to stream netflix which I was unable to do before so that's a good sign. I'll check back in later tonight or early tomorrow to let you know if I've been able to hold connection. If so, you may want to save that link for the drivers for future use, since then one you gave me didn't have them available.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Thank you for the update and the advisory on the link which I have now amended :)
Hopefully the fresh driver install has resolved the issue and yes please do keep us updated when you are able to.