Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PortableApps Autorun not working!

• Please log in to reply

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I have a USB (Brand: Transcend) drive where I installed the popular software PortableApps (www.portableapps.com) It contains autorun.inf file. It contains the following code:
[Autorun]
Open=StartPortableApps.exe
Action=Start PortableApps.com
Icon=PortableApps\PortableApps.com\App\Graphics\usb.ico
Label=Tran_Muhib

But still, autorun is not working. When I connect, the USB directory normally apperas, but nothing runs. Though the StartPortableApps.exe and autorun.inf (and other necessary files) are in the same root directory of the USB Drive. I also tried the following forum but it didn't help me: Autorun Problem
In the forum, I found about AutoFix, but it didn't worked in my computer and crashed - Autofix was updated in 2003 and I use Win7, that's why. And not only this, I also searched PortableApps forum. There I found that a lot of users had the same problem. I looked at the solutions but I wasn't satisfactoried. They says that the autorun.inf file is suitable for all, the problem is in our computer.
But my other programs autorun is working correctly (eg CD, DVD). But it's not working in my flash drive/USB. Autorun is also enabled completely. So Please HELP.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hey sadman1996,

First off, sorry about not getting back to you sooner. We have many staffers here who volunteer their time, and sometimes time is short. Also, in order to provide the best quality of support here on the forum, we tend to stay in our comfort zone - I won't answer many linux questions because I don't want to mess up someone else's computer.

Take a look at this post on the Engineering Windows 7 blog titled "Improvements to AutoPlay". In Windows 7, only CD/DVDs are able to utilize AutoRun, and all other devices have custom autorun.inf disabled. To quote:

Windows will no longer display the AutoRun task in the AutoPlay dialog for devices that are not removable optical media (CD/DVD.) because there is no way to identify the origin of these entries.

John Haller himself has verified this himself: "Autorun was never enabled on USB sticks. Autoplay used to be, which would allow a "Start PortableApps.com" option to appear in the autoplay menu on insertion you could select. That has now been disabled on all versions of Windows in a recent security update. There is no option to bring it back from Microsoft nor will there ever be."

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only way to make your custom autorun.inf work in Windows 7 would be to install the PortableApps suite onto a CD or DVD.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
At that John Haller link, he mentions a service that runs in the background and "listens" for your flash drive to be plugged in. If you plug in a flash drive and StartPortableApps.exe is in the root of the drive, this service will automatically run it.

You can check it out at portableapps.com. Haller says "It's built for the 1.6.1 and 2.0 Beta 5 releases, though, so you will need to rename Start.exe to StartPortableApps.exe for it to work." I haven't used PA.c in forever, so I don't know what that would entail, but it's something to consider. It will only work in computers on which you install it, so it would run PA.c on your home computer, but not at your friend's house unless he has this listener installed on his computer as well.

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
hmm.... So the only solution is the Listener. But, it cannot be run in other's computer. So I think, I will bear PA without autorun. Thank you very much for providing me helpful informations.
And I also want to tell you something, is my account running properly? Why I am asking this? hope that you have already known the reason. If not, then please check my topic in the Waiting Room again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I found 3 topics you have started since you became a member in August
One was answered the day after you originally posted.
This one was answered 6 days later
The other was 5 days after your original post.
Though we try our hardest to answer every topic ASAP sometimes we are not here and do occasionally miss one. Remember we are all volunteers and have other obligations and lives away from the forum.
There are literally hundreds of people online at one time but due to limited knowledge they may not be willing to take on a topic. Even though you see several views of your topic the right person with the correct knowledge may not have looked at it or has several topics they are already working on.
It is not intentional and you have done nothing wrong but only that we have not seen or have mistakenly skipped over your topic.
I do apologize for this and hopefully now all your topic have been successfully resolved.

muhib1996

muhib1996

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Sorry, I know that you all try to answer quickly. But I was telling you this because I faced several difficulties and errors while registering here, so doubt remained in my mind. That's why I asked you.
And may I ask you another thing, Can I become a TECH/GEEK like you in GeeksToGo? if so, what to do, and what is the least age to become a TECH or GEEK here. (I should not post this question here, but as you said not to PM u, then what to do :) )

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By becoming a member you can answer any topic with a suggestion here at GeeksToGo. Below is my welcome for members with experience and maybe it will explain it better.

Hello sadman1996 :) .... Welcome to GeeksToGo,, Nice to have you here and please feel free to look around and enjoy the forums.
Feel free to add your suggestions in any forum other then the Malware forum as only the Techs trained for that area can give assistance. Also no Malware advice is allowed outside of the Malware forum. Just a piece of advice for you. :)
:) :yes: :)

In order to become staff you need to give quality advice for a undetermined amount of time. If a staff member then recommends you for Tech Academy then there is a probation period where you are watched. As before it is a undetermined amount of time and then a promotion to staff is decided then.
If you want to learn to become a malware staff member that takes more patience and time. Along with lots of studies and research. The amount of time it takes is determined by your desire to learn and complete the assignments.