Congratulations. Your computer looks clean now.
It's now time to take some further steps to have your system protected from any potential attacks in the future.
Clean up with OTL:
- Double-click OTL.exe to start the program.
- Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot.
- On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP button.
- Say Yes to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
Turn off System Restore and then turn it back on.
- Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
- In the System Restore tab, check "Turn off System Restore on all drives" and then click Apply.
- Click Yes and then OK.
- Once again, right click on My Computer and select Properties.
- In the System Restore tab, uncheck "Turn off System Restore on all drives" and then click Apply.
- When the Apply button greys out, click OK.
Your Windows and some of your programs may have vulnerabilities that malicious hackers and programs like to exploit to get into your computer and/or take control of it. This is why you MUST keep your Windows up to date with the latest security patches. The same goes for your programs like Java and Adobe applications.
For Windows Updates:
For Java updates:
For Adobe security updates:
Note: It's strongly recommended that you uninstall any versions of Java and Adobe products that are already installed on your computer before you install the most current ones from the sites that are linked to above.
Programs that I recommend for you to have/keep on your system.
- Avast (don't download this if you already have an antivirus installed on your system): One of the best antivirus programs out there, and it's free. Keeps you protected from a lot of viruses and other malicious programs.
- Comodo Firewall (don't download this if you already have a software firewall installed on your system): A great firewall that does its job well without using too many resources. Good at keeping you protected from hackers.
- TFC Cleaner: Cleans your computer from unneeded junk, some of which may very well be malware.
- Spybot - Search & Destroy: A good anti-spyware program. Everytime you have it updated, use its Immunize feature to have your system immune to a large number of malware attacks.
- SUPERAntiSpyware: One of the best anti-spyware programs out there. Just use the free version to get rid of most of the malware out there.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: Another great anti-malware program. You can have Spybot, SUPERAntiSpyware and the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware installed on your system, but try not to scan with them all at the same time.
- SpywareBlaster: This one is unique in the sense that it actually blocks your system from certain spyware attacks. For optimal security, make sure you "enable all protection" after every time you have it updated. This program works well in conjunction with Spybot's Immunize feature.
Make sure all the security programs on your computer are up-to-date. An outdated version can be just as bad as no version at all.
For more reading on how to get your system protected, please read Tony Klein's "How did I get infected in the first place?".
By following the above steps, your system will be well-protected from most of the malware attacks that hit our systems. If, despite everything, your system gets infected again in the future, please don't hesitate to come back here and ask us for help.
Enjoy your computer.