Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Graphics Card Problem

• Please log in to reply

dirtrider

dirtrider

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello,

I am having trouble with my laptop randomly freezing, and the display goes blank/turns off. It does not happen in safe mode. It happened a week ago, and I fixed it by uninstalling the graphics card driver, and reinstalling. That however, is not working this time.

I also took covers off of the bottom and cleaned all the dust out of there to make sure things were not overheating.

In my system information under the problem devices, the Security Processor Loader Driver is listed with an error code that states this device is not working properly...not sure if that applies to anything here however.

I've ran virus scans, and they either come up clean, or with a few things which it fixes, and this problem still persists, so I do not think it is a virus/malware.

From searches it appears it may be a graphics card problem.

System info: Running Windows 7
NVIDIA GEForce 8600M GT

Help Please!!!!

EDIT: It now boots in multiple-tiled screens, even in safe mode...

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi dirtrider
It may be a video chip or ribbon problem or indeed a malware issue;

I've ran virus scans, and they either come up clean, or with a few things which it fixes, and this problem still persists, so I do not think it is a virus/malware.

Have you tried connecting to an external screen via the VGA port and if so what was the display like?

I also took covers off of the bottom and cleaned all the dust out of there to make sure things were not overheating

Good approach but can you post the laptop details please, brand name and model name or series (not serial) number so that we can do some research, some laptop video chips also have a heatsink meaning that if it is clogged it will overheat possibly causing artifacts or tiled images etc, can you hear the CPU fan working?

For dealing with possible malware;
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will look at other possible causes and their solutions.

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
32 Bit Operating System
2 gig RAM
Intel Core Duo CPU

The laptop is an Xplorer X5-7900 Notebook, ordered from Cyberpower PC in 2007. Compal FL90
NVDIA Mobile 8600GT 256MB Video

I'm not too sure if it is an overheating problem right now, as this problem is occurring on startup as well (boots into the tiled screens, even in safe mode). I have not tried to connect to an external monitor. I will have to try that and see what happens.

I posted in the Malware forum as you asked.

Thanks for your help!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update, to avoid confusion all I will suggest for now is trying the external screen until you get the all clear from the Malware Techs and please provide them with a link to this thread so that what steps you may have already taken to try and resolve this issue, good luck.

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I tried connecting to an external monitor, however I had no such luck. Maybe it doesn't work in safe mode (only way I can boot the computer now) Though I have had trouble doing that before all of this trouble started. It works when I connect a different laptop to the monitor.

The correct procedure is to connect the monitor to laptop then push the monitor switch button on whichever button it is located on correct? (Fn + F3 or F4, etc.)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The correct procedure is to connect the monitor to laptop then push the monitor switch button on whichever button it is located on correct? (Fn + F3 or F4, etc.)

You are correct, Fn + the F5 key together is common sequence it is however not generic and brands do vary.

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yea, I am unable to connect to the external monitor for whatever reason (maybe it's a safe mode thing?), though I may have had that problem before this current problem started. I'm currently working thru the scans the malware guys are instructing me through.

Thanks for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update and you are welcome :)

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Phillpower,

Everything has been running normally for a little over a week now. Just thought I'd give you an update. Below is the thread from the Malware Forum.

http://www.geekstogo...k-tiled-screen/

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi dirtrider I am happy to hear that the issue now appears to be resolved and thank you for taking time out to update us, great job done by yourself and ST :)

Advertisements

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Phillpower,

It appears I have spoken too soon. I am now experiencing the problem again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi dirtrider, sorry to hear that the issue has reoccurred.
I notice that ST has suggested you post in the W7 forum which means that you are clean of malware at least.
Can you check if Windows has installed any automatic updates previous to this happening again (possibly graphics related) try downloading an earlier version of the drivers http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us save them to your desktop, uninstall the present drivers completely, reboot and manually install the newly saved drivers and see how it goes, doing a clean install is important as it prevents an overlap of the drivers which can cause system instability/crashes.

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
How do I check to see if windows has installed updates? Also, when I tried uninstalling the graphics driver in the past, it would work, however when i rebooted, it would automatically install a new driver before I got a chance to install the one that I had downloaded. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Also, should I proceed and post in the Windows 7 forum?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

How do I check to see if windows has installed updates?

Both of your questions are answered @ http://www.top-windo...-7-updates.html

Brief description for organising your updates;

1: Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.

2: In the left pane, click Change settings.

3: Choose the option that you want.

4: Under Recommended updates, select the Include recommended updates when downloading, installing, or notifying me about updates check box, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation

Also, should I proceed and post in the Windows 7 forum?

Not at present, try the above approach with the drivers first as it may not be necessary.

dirtrider

dirtrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
For some reason I cannot open Windows update. It may be because I am only able to run the computer in safe mode. I'm honestly just considering buying a new graphics card and replacing it. Do you have any advice on that? The one I think I will get is below (it should be the same as the card that is currently in the computer.)

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0045JPG9M