Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HelpCtr / IE Software problem....Help needed pleasePosted: Wed Oct 05,

• Please log in to reply

Orng1

Orng1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Computer profile:Custom build
Raidmax Smilodon case - 500W Power Supply
Asus P5N32-3 SLI Plus 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard (SLI is not in use)
GeForce 8600GTS 256Mb 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI supported Video Card
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66Ghz LGA 775 Processor
2 G of Corsair XMS2 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Memory
(2) Seagate Barracuda ST325062ONS 250Gb 7200Rpm Sata 3Gb/s data rate (one master - one slave)
Windows XP SP3 OS

Problem: A week ago out of the blue I started having the Windows XP Support and Help Center page and the IE Help page open w/o being prompted
they would populate multiple times - up to 111 times. This happened while viewing email, working in word and excel, surfing the internet, etc.

Solutions tried:

1.) I ran Malewarebytes, Spybot, Ccleaner, Microsoft Security Essentials - found not infections. I then downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware
that it supposedly able to dig deeper into file structure and ran it - you guessed it, found nothing. I had to hold down Ctrl + Alt to
choose a program to open and then hold only Alt to pick specific functions inside the program - once the program started running if
I released the Alt key the program would quit running.
2.) Thinking I had a really "bad one" I tried to run WipeDrive but could not get the screen in DOS to quit flashing and accept commands.
3.) I removed the Lithium battery from the motherboard for 15 minutes and reinstalled it. When I booted up everything worked fine for
about an hour and then the problem started again.
4.) I bought a new hard drive - Seagate Barracuda ST310005N1A1AS-RK 1Tb 7200Rpm Sata 32Mb Cache 3Gb/s data rate - and reloaded XP,
yep I still have the same problem. So by this point I felt I had eliminated infections(new hard drive and no connection to the internet on the new hard drive).
5.) I downloaded a windows diagnostic tool for RAM/Motherboard memory to a disk on my laptop and ran it on the pc to see if maybe
the memory was going bad and causing it. I ran 19 passes on the diagnostic and passed everytime.
6.) That brings me to today. I think it may be a software problem relating to a .exe command with the HelpCtr.exe and Iexplore.exe
commands but that is outside my expertise. Hopefully someone here has ran across this before and knows of a remedy because I
am ready to start target practice in preparation for deer season after working on this for 5 days straight...LOL!

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 October 2011 - 04:27 PM.
Removed malware log as we don't use them in this forum

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I would try another keyboard. Sounds like the F1 key is flaky.