Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

kdcom.dll is corrupted, can't access normal or safe mode

• Please log in to reply

mr. mason

mr. mason

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have windows 7 on my laptop and i dont have a boot up disk. I was in the middle of studying when my computer went into start up repair on its own. now i cant access my computer. the computer cant automatically repair this and im desperate. i have an essay to edit and no way to do it.the diagnostic said the kdcom.dll file was corrupted . system restore wont work. edit: sorry, i posted in the wrong forum,ths phone is hard to manage

Edited by mr. mason, 06 October 2011 - 09:24 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to run System File Checker (sfc) but you need a Windows 7 installation DVD or just the Recovery Disc which you can download here: Download Windows 7 Recovery Disc. Get the 32 or 64 bit, which ever you need.

Create the bootable CD on another computer then boot it. Get to a Command Prompt and enter sfc /scannow.

See if that fixes the problem.

How to run System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console

• Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Language" screen hold the "Shift" key and press the F10 key to open a Command Window
  • Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
Let this run to completion undisturbed.

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok, quick question. This won't destroy all my data will it ?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, not all all. SFC checks specific system files for corruption or if they are missing and replaces them. It does not touch your data in any way.

You do have your data backed up I hope. Even though this will not affect it other things can and eventually will. If you are not backing up your data you should look into doing so immediately. Many people think about this right after they need it unfortunately.

Invest in an external USB hard drive and good backup software. I recommend Acronis True Image but it's not free. I also use Drive Image XML and Macrium Reflect, both of which are free.

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Im sorry this is being dragged out but every time i try to download the 32 bit recovery disk i get an incomplete version,Is that link working properly ?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When do you get the incomplete version? During the download, after you unzip it, when?

I just downloaded it. This is what I got:

143,861,966 Windows 7 32-bit Repair Disc.zip
MD5 checksum is 0f43d6a1c72ef4914ec789430ca73806 *Windows 7 32-bit Repair Disc.zip

After I unzipped it I get:

150,194,176 Windows 7 32-bit Repair Disc.iso
MD5 checksum is ed53ff0a3acb103a9f6137f76c60e2ff *Windows 7 32-bit Repair Disc.iso

Is this what you get?

Note: You can get a free MD5 checksum generator here: MD5 sums for Windows. I use md5sum.exe from the unixtools collection. Same result with both.

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i finally got the whole disk. when I run the command prompt it says theres a system repair pending and it requires a reboot. it tells me to restart. Now whenever It runs system repair it says theres nothing wrong yet it still wont boot in normal or safe mode. the only difference when i boot from the disk is that the windows 7 background appears behind the recovery console.

Edited by mr. mason, 10 October 2011 - 05:25 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you actually get to a Command Prompt? If so, can you enter sfc /scannow

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
yes, its the black box you type commands isnt it ? i typed sfc / scannow . it says theres a system repair pending which reqiures me to reboot. None of the repair scans can find the issue now which is strange because when this first happened it told me it was the kdcom.dll file that was corrupted.

Edited by mr. mason, 11 October 2011 - 02:11 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Give this a try, see if it help with the repair loop: Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok I just tried it and it didnt seem to work. it still goes sraight to statup repair. I'm beginning to wonder if a virus is responcible for this...

Edited by mr. mason, 11 October 2011 - 07:41 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You went through the entire process of backing up the registry hive files then copying them over from the RegBack folder?

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I followed those directions to the letter

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Did you computer come with a Recovery partition? If so you can restore it to it's factory new state but that will lose all your data unless it provides a non-destructive recovery method.

You can backup your data (maybe) from the Recovery Console, see here: Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I was afraid of that, I'll use that method to save what I can. I think I'm going to take my computer in to see if there's anything someone else can do. Thank you for taking the time to try and help me.