Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Any more recent hardware I can buy for my Laptop?

• Please log in to reply

tblasing1

tblasing1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I have a Toshiba Portege M200 that works but games today kind of suck. I know that it is more of a business laptop but is there any new hardware that I can buy to "rebuild" it. If this is possible I'm wanting a more up to date hardware then the ones listed below, This laptop is an embarrassment to the online gaming world lol. Any help would be great! Thank You!

Operating System
MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium M 755
Dothan 90nm Technology
RAM
1.00 GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
TOSHIBA Portable PC (uFC-PGA Socket) 58 °C
Graphics
LG TV (1024x768@60Hz)
32MB NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 32M/64M (Toshiba)
Hard Drives
59GB Hitachi HTS721060G9AT00 (PATA) 44 °C
Optical Drives
ZKLURSN V8XUZ81 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Laptops are very limited for user upgrade possibilities.
Usually you can only upgrade the memory and hard drive. After that you are talking about replacing the motherboard which in all honesty would be just as expensive if not more then buying a new laptop.
First suggestion I would give you is the memory. It is the single most update that will make the most difference in speed and performance of your laptop.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Next I would look at upgrading the hard drive to at least 160 gigs but be warned the PATA style drives are older technology so the drives are more then the SATA ones.
Last make sure all your drivers are up to date as this can cause issues with game playing when you are using a older display driver.