Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Form on website displaying commets in HTML

• Please log in to reply

BexBomb

BexBomb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all.

I am using WebEasy Professional 6 to design my website. I am having trouble with a form that I have inserted on the contacts page. The comments from clients is sent to my mailbox (Microsoft Outlook) in html. Can anyone advise on how to get these comments to display in plain text in my inbox. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This has to be a website design issue (or an issue with your script), or an issue with the Outlook on your machine.

While it is theoretically possible to have a form send you a HTML email, it is twice the effort in the first place. By default it can only be plain text. I can only assume you have set your Outlook up to show all emails in HTML format.

What is your website address please?

BexBomb

BexBomb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Neil.

Thank you for your reply. Website www.oceangorge.co.za

Kind regards,
Rebecca Klaasen
[email protected]

BexBomb

BexBomb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry, forgot to mention - the form that I am working on is not currently on the 'contact us' page, as I have it posted as a test page. Still a rough copy, as I am still working on it - just trying to get the form to work properly. You can find it at www.oceangorge.co.za/test/8contact.htm

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your form is set up as just a standard email address. What this will cause the browser to do is simply to try and launch the default email client if one exists on the machine. After that point you lose all control over how the email is formatted and it becomes up to the emailer competence (or not as the case may be) as to what you get. Outlook Express will, by default, send emails in HTML format.

What you really need is some sort of "email me" script. If you can't run one on the server, something like this will do it:
http://www.emailmeform.com/

By the way, don't include links to .dll files on websites as this is just asking for trouble and the files have no function outside of Windows. You've linked to MSOE.dll. This may only work (which is not guaranteed) in XP. MSOE.dll is a file used for Outlook Express which doesn't appear in any version of Windows after XP. Vista uses Windows Mail and 7 doesn't include an email client by default.

If you want a clickable email address use the mailto suffix as in :

<a href="mailto:[email protected]">Email me</a>

By doing this anybody on any operating system can click it and the system will respond accordingly.

Edited by Neil Jones, 10 October 2011 - 03:48 PM.