Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista laptop connects "Local Only" to network; DHCP prob;em?

• Please log in to reply

jcraig0628

jcraig0628

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My daughter's Compaq Presario laptop can no longer connect to the internet through the wired or wireless connection. It worked previously, but now it will only connect as "Local Only". When I look at the interfaces, they are both configured to obtain an IP address automatically. When I run IPCONFIG it shows that DHCP is enabled, but the autoconfigured IPv4 IP address it shows (169.254.249.194) is not on my network. There also isn't an IP showing for the Default Gateway. I am using a Linksys Wireless-G router and I have 3 other laptops (2 running Vista; 1 running Win7) that are able to connect without any problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my daughter is driving me nuts about not having a fully functioning computer. Standing by to answer any questions or provide/upload anything needed to help troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks and Cheers!

Advertisements