Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP: c0000218 Unknown Hard Error

• Please log in to reply

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Good morning!

I have been trying to back up the contents of a Toshiba Tecra S1 which is unbelievably slow... It takes literally 8 years to get to the Windows screen... Okay, so it takes about 15-20 minutes to get there. Then it gives me a pretty blue screen that says:

STOP: c0000218 Unknown Hard Error
Unknown Hard Error
Beginning dump of physical memory
Dumping physical memory to disk: 0

It took about 20 minutes for the "Dumping physical memory to disk" to go from 0 to 3. Should I just let it keep going? Any thoughts?
I appreciate any and all help. :)

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
c0000218 Unknown Hard Error is usually associated to a hardware problem and since you were able to install aXP pro to another hard disk maybe yours original hard disk is damage.

I would first check if your Hard Disk is not damage by checking the manufacturer model of the hard disk and downloading the ISO boot image of the program for testing your HD, burn it on a cd and boot from it.

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you very much for your help. I will try this. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

c0000218 Unknown Hard Error is usually associated to a hardware problem and since you were able to install aXP pro to another hard disk maybe yours original hard disk is damage.

I would first check if your Hard Disk is not damage by checking the manufacturer model of the hard disk and downloading the ISO boot image of the program for testing your HD, burn it on a cd and boot from it.

Thank you very much for your help. I will try this. :)

Miss_Guided This may save you some time http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Miss_Guided

In view of the fact that you already had this thread

http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

running from the 26 Sept, concerning the same problem and on there you have now today posted

Sorry about the break. I was away from work for a while. The laptop never was repaired. I tried to do a recovery. After putting in the first disc and making the appropriate selections for restoring it back to "out of box" state, it died.

it appears you may unfortunately need help on the "it has died" issue.
Would you kindly pursue that if you wish on the thread from September, where rshaffer61 was helping.

Good luck and please do not in future start a separate thread regarding the same problem.
This only serves to confuse the issue when people helping do not realise you have the two threads running.
Thank you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 November 2011 - 04:55 PM.

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Actually, that was a different machine and I did not know that the problems actually were the same problem. My apologies. I did not intentionally separate anything. Again... Sorry for my ignorance.