Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't figure out the computer specs I need

• Please log in to reply

amnestria

amnestria

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I've been googling so much and it hasn't helped me figure out what I want to know.

I'm looking for a netbook that is hopefully not over $400 (i might push that to $450) that will multi-task well.
I regularily have two to four tabs open in my google chrome web browser, as well as always having google talk running. I need a netbook that can smoothly run having google chrome with a few tabs open running smooth and not slow or laggy, as well as having google talk running. I also need it to be able to run microsoft word and paint and drop box without any slowing down issues. I won't have all those open at once, most likely just google talk, with either word and paint, or drop box and paint, or word and google chrome... so they wouldn't ALL be open at the same time.

Also, I want the netbook to run minecraft smoothly, without being slow and laggy. I'm told all this is asking too much for a netbook, but I want to get another opinion. I don't know anything about netbooks, notebooks, or laptops, I'm a desktop girl and I'm used to dealing with that.

When I have minecraft open I'll have google talk open as well, but nothing else, and I want it to run nice without having to turn all the settings down.
I was looking at this netbook I found and was wondering if it would work at all or if it would work great or somewhere in between :

http://www.bestnetbo...22-netbook.html

Thank you so much and hopefully I hear back soon.

~Amnestria

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi amnestria and :)
A better option http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834215163
The above notebook has a faster more capable processor and 4GB of Ram which are both a must when you continuously have multiple tasks running, there is also the ability of upgrading to 8GB of Ram which again is a must in order to get the maximum benefit of running Windows 7 64-bit, the one thing that most portable computers fall down on is their video capabilities and this is down to the fact that a lot of power is required for video cards and that is something that portable computers cannot provide due to their battery size and lack of a PSU (power supply unit).
Good luck with whatever you decide upon and keep us posted, as always let us know if we can offer further assistance.

NB: Below are the minimum required system specs that I could find for running minecraft;
Windows - Windows 98, WIndows 95, Windows XP
Processor - Intel Celeron M 1.5Ghz, AMD Sempron 2200+, Intel Celeron 430 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, (Unknown 2.2Ghz).......
Graphics Card - GeForce 8400 Series, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Series, GeForce 9400 GT, ATI Radeon HD3470.......
RAM (Memory) - 1GB, 4GB
Hard Disk Space - 1GB
DirectX - 9, 10
OpenGL - 1.4
Pixel Shader - 4.0

Dragon2104

Dragon2104

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's a HP PC starting at $400.00:
http://www.shopping....shopping/cto.do
should fit your needs.
it is also customizable!

Edited by Dragon2104, 14 December 2012 - 03:31 PM.