Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rar download stops a few kb in... HELP please?

• Please log in to reply

JacksWickedWench

JacksWickedWench

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an older Mac G-5 OS-X that has just decided to stop allowing me to download rar files. It gets about 3.8 to 4 kb in, and then just stops. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm on Safari, Firefox, or Opera. And it doesn't matter if the rar comes from megaupload, or any of the similar sites. I have no idea how this happened, or why. I did a search for this topic, but couldn't find anything like what I'm dealing with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Advertisements

JacksWickedWench

JacksWickedWench

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
...And just to make things even more interesting, I've found that I can get rar's -- IF they're already stuffed into a zip file. What the heck?!? I've got no problem getting pdfs and zips, but no rars. ACK! SO annoying!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
JacksWickedWrench

Welcome to GeekstoGo.

Sorry you have waited for a reply. This is mainly due to the vast number of posts on the site.
May I firstly state that I have NO knowledge whatsoever of Mac O/S.

I have replied just so you know that you have not been overlooked.

See this
http://www.mac-forum...s-internet.html

If it by coincidence applies to you - maybe that is the answer.
Also mega upload and other such sites such as rapid download etc, do tend to have some of the more questionable downloads, have you tried downloading a rar file from another site. Most rar programs, do include test files with the download - such as this one
http://www.google.co...7m-vlLQ&cad=rja
If it is NOT please post and I will take steps to try and get you some help from someone who knows the Mac O/S

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 October 2011 - 01:40 PM.

JacksWickedWench

JacksWickedWench

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Macboatmaster: Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I followed your link, and it was EXACTLY the solution. Norton AV strikes again. Grrr...

I disabled the vulnerability protection, and next thing I knew, rars were coming in just like they had before.

Whew! Again, thank you so very much. I was fearing a much greater problem, and not being the most techno-savvy person on the face of the planet, had no idea what I was even looking for. Geeks To Go to the rescue and FTW! LOL You guys are awesome, and now officially my heros!

~JacksWickedWench

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Pleased it worked, especially as I only answered, as explained, with no knowledge whatsoever of Mac(Apple) O/S.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 October 2011 - 02:11 PM.