Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Running Win7 is Drastically Slow, Constantly Freezes

• Please log in to reply

EricM434

EricM434

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this but I am in dire need of some serious help!

My laptop is just over a year old (purchased in June 2010). The specs are by no means bad (4GB RAM, i5 processor 430M) and there is plenty of space remaining on my Hard Drive (over 500GB). I am having a hard time understanding why my laptop is running so ridiculously slow; opening Internet Explorer takes up to five minutes, and even opening programs like Microsoft Word takes several minutes. The computer constantly freezes and programs are always "not responding".

I have run two full system scans and have only returned one item (a java exploit, which I removed). This did not help at all.
I have also run disk cleanup and deleted all unnecessary files, as well as defragmented my C drive (both of these did not result in any huge difference).

Recently, when booting my computer, a message appeared that said I need to check my disk for consistency. I ran ChkDsk and this also did not help very much (Windows notified me that some files were corrupted, and these files were fixed as far as I know).

I have no reason to believe that I have any malware or viruses, as the system scans have not returned anything.
Does anyone have any explanation as to why my computer is running so slowly?
I do not have many programs installed (I am a student, so I just have the basic iTunes, Microsoft Office, bitTorrent, Dungeon Siege 3, etc.)

I am most certainly not pushing my laptop to its full potential, so why is it running so slowly?

Any suggestions are appreciated,
Eric

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
go to start, in the "search programs and files" window at the bottom type in task manager and open it by clicking on "view running processes with task manager". When the task manager window pops up click on the performance tab. At the bottom right is a button for "resource monitor". Click the button to bring up the monitor.Click on the memory tab and look to see how much memory is being used. If a lot is being used go back to overview tab and find out what programs are using all the memory.

On my dual core computer right now i am using 1 gig memory for the hardware, 1 gig memory for the processes, and have almost 2 gigs in standby. My memory usage is at 36%. This is with only firefox running.

You don't give the system spec's so i am guessing that you probably only have 2 gigs of memory and your programs are using it all up. If possible buy more memory as it's really quite cheap right now.

SRX660