Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just built a pc and it only turns on for a second, no beeps.

• Please log in to reply

richsapf

richsapf

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just built my first pc and here are the specs:

Brand new computer I am building
chasis-Glite 430
mobo-MSI-H61-P21
WD500W-psu
kingston 4gig 2x ddr3 ram
intel celron dual 2.4ghz cpu
pny-geforce 210 1gig ddr2 graphics pci-e
creative blaster xfi titanium sound pci-e
WD 7200 hd sata 500gb
asus dvd/cd rw drive
asus wireless pci-e

I push the power button but it only stays on for half a second.. even if the power switch is off. It still turns on for half a second.. I removed the video card and still the same thing... I am not getting any beeps..

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you,
Rich

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Rich, Posted Image

Just checking your build, I can find everything for research except the PSU. Can you post the exact make and model number?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
If you have built before, these steps may seem a little simplistic, but need to be gone through.

Always turn of the power at the wall and take anti static measures by toutching a bare unpainted part of the computer case. Do this even when hadling parts not already installed.

Did you change the case I/O shield (if already installed) with the one supplied with the Mobo?
Have you attached the the - ATX 24-Pin power connector- and the 4-pin ATX 12V power connector ?
Is there TIM between the heat-sink and CPU?
Have you attached the CPU fan cable to the CPU fan header on the Mobo?

Your Mobo has 6 screw holes used to attach it to the matching 6 stand offs on the case mounting plate? The stand offs must match EXACTLY the holes in the Mobo with NO extra ones left under the board, this will cause a short preventing boot up and could damage the the board. You can sometimes verify stand off placements by looking at the back of the Mobo mounting plate.

See this article, http://www.diy-gamin...otherboard.html

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Always turn of the power at the wall

Note in many countries, including the United States and Canada, wall outlets typically are not switched. So "turn off power at the wall" makes no sense for many, if not most computer users around the world. "Unplug from the wall" is universally understood, and technically safer as it does not assume a working switch or properly wired outlet.